Workaround for test retakes?

Happy Friday :slight_smile: I am looking for a way for my students to be able to retake a formative. I know I can leave it open for editing, but I would like new data sets each time the students take the formative. Does anyone have a solution for me?

Thanks!!

Corrine

4 Likes

Hi @Corrine_Taylor ,

Have you tried to copy the Formative? Click on the circle on the left side of a formative and you will see a menu at the bottom of your screen. Click “copy” and you will see a new formative with the same name (+clone) on your screen :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Hi @omerkarabacak! This is an amazing workaround!! I just made my first “retake” assignment. I followed the steps you gave me, renamed it with the same name as the first one + retake at the end :slight_smile: This is perfect!! Thanks so much!

Corrine

2 Likes

@omerkarabacak @Corrine_Taylor I love doing this for progress checks - because it’s so easy to change the order of questions you can set the same questions with very little effort. I’ve found it really useful for pre- and post- testing.

5 Likes

I love it too @kallgood! It has really changed the way I pre/post assess students :smile:

2 Likes

You can also delete their responses and make them start fresh, which is what I have been doing once the original grade is already in the books. Cloning seems like a much better system!

3 Likes

I use both ways, cloning and erasing their responses. I also find that after I have taken the grade, for recovery, I open the formative again. I let them see what they got wrong and let them correct it. It is almost like test corrections. Mixing it up helps keeping the on their toes.

4 Likes

I love it too. It is definitely helpful for learning checks before an assessment.

2 Likes

@Pebble_Johnson @ndyer I can definitely see how cloning the formative and erasing the responses could both be helpful depending on when I am asking students to review their progress and take the formative again. For example, if I want students to re-do questions immediately after we talk about them, it might be quicker to simply delete the original responses.

4 Likes

@ndyer…I am loving the cloning idea so far! It is allowing me to keep track of progress, or the lack thereof. It is proving to be a nice pre/post method for me in class. Give it a try and let me know what you think :wink:

2 Likes

I love this @Pebble_Johnson…it’s similar to what @Lisa_Scumpieru does as well :smile: Thanks so much for the input!

3 Likes

Hi @Corrine_Taylor,

I was thinking about how I was going to manage retakes and extra practice work for my classes as well. I was going to try making a separate class that any of my students can join as needed throughout the semester and place all of my makeups and extra practice formatives there. That way, I can see the assignments I have assigned separately from all of the retake work. I also do not want the retakes or extra practice being calculated into the percentages for the class. I have done something similar in Edpuzzle for extra credit assignments and found this to be a great way to assess student learning of the standards (although it is a little more work in terms of putting grades in the gradebook).

7 Likes

Love this! I would think even changing up some of the questions so that they’re the same standards and tagged to the same standards but the questions are a bit different.

6 Likes

I agree @jomoskowitz! @kjohnson, this is an awesome workaround that I’ve never heard of before! You can also create an extra class if you want to give a small group of students a modified formative. You can make a copy of a formative, modify it, and then assign it!

4 Likes

Hi @kjohnson!! What an amazing idea! That way the other students won’t have it popping back up at the top. Thank you so much for sharing this method with me! I am going to be busy creating some new “classes” today :smile:

Thanks again!

Corrine

2 Likes

@kjohnson Your idea is great! I’ve just created my new class.

4 Likes

This is brilliant! How did you come up with this!? Would love to see a screencast or images of what this looks like on your end! So great! Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

I agree! Glad to see that we gave @kjohnson a shout-out on Twitter:

1 Like

Thank you @Angela_Gonzales @michael.lutz @Corrine_Taylor @david!!!

Angela to answer your question, I had originally set up additional classes in my edpuzzle account to monitor extra credit work in my coding class. Students who were having trouble with codecademy or code high school wanted me to record some of my lessons the way I taught them in class so I created a series of videos and questions and just left them open. Now students use them as a study tool or extra credit for my course, and I just remove the kids at the end of the semester so I do not have to reassign everything. I am currently applying that idea to goformative as I move throughout the semester. It is slow going, as creating additional formatives takes time, but most of my kids like having a “one stop shop” to practice or retake as needed.

I will definitely post a screencast sometime next week!

Would LOVE to know how this system is working for everyone! Best!

2 Likes

Thank you very much @david!!! So appreciative to be a part of such as innovative community!

2 Likes