What models or ways of learning will you pull in and adapt using Formative this school year?

multi-disciplinary

Hope everyone had a long extended weekend! Even though many of us are getting ready for a fast-paced, fun-filled week, we would like you to take some time to slow down with our slow chat. You can jump in any time this week and relax while interacting with our Formative community.

@informed_members @Certified_Educators

Chat Opportunities!

@fichtlis - I am not sure this is what you were looking for. I teach MS LA online, so I don’t get to see any real-time work from my students. I am using formative to help the students learn how to do graphic organizers, pre-writing activities, short personal response to literature. It is really helping me to see a few things that brick/mortar teachers can - like who is participating in the class, who is struggling and not saying anything, who really understands the concepts in REAL time. I also like that I can tag the standards to each question (don’t like how long it takes LOL) so I can justify to the state that I do standards-based learning. I am also introducing other teachers in my program to this and helping them see how to use the Formative as a possible tool for their courses and classrooms.

That’s great. I love how you are using Formative to access in real time. I also like the idea of getting other teachers involved and doing a train-the-trainer model. Have a wonderful school year!

My goal for this school year is to create a more student-centered classroom. Ideally, I would like my students to set SMART goals for their learning and then work at their own pace to become proficient with the content. I am planning to use Formative to assess student learning, as well as, provide timely feedback for students. I may also use Formative to provide content to students who are working more independently.

@fichtlis I will be pulling from the Universal Design for Learning Model (UDL). I think I already teach this way for the most part, but I think I tend to focus on “visual learners” more than others. The UDL model really encourages targeting all learning styles within a lesson, which I try to do, but probably not as effectively as I would like. I have already started focusing more on the auditory learner, but the one thing I really lag in is focusing on Kinesthetic-Tactile learner. I am going to move away from the tech a bit and get them moving and doing! I will use Formative the way I did in a science Formative I created last year… have them do an activity where they will move about and work together and then go back to the Formative and enter what they learned from their experience. I don’t have the details yet, but I have the idea in place.

May seem kind of basic, but I’d love to try task cards out on Formative this year. I have always printed out cards, laminated them, and had students record etc. but I will be the first to admit that I did not check every problem for every student :slightly_frowning_face:. I think that trying this out through formative will give my students feedback and time to correct their mistakes without me have to look over 100’s of problems - my role can move more towards coaching and prompting through mistakes.

Laurie,
This is great. I love SMART goals. I made a formative where I had students make SMART goals at the end of the formative. I’ll share it here. Have a wonderful school year.

Sounds great! I love UDL. It really drives how one teaches. You made me think about how I’m transitioning to teaching teachers and UDL is still applicable to any learner. Thank you for the reminder. :slight_smile: Have a great year.

That’s a great strategy! As an English teacher, I had to tell kids that I wasn’t going to look at everything with the intensity they wanted, but they knew a formative was their practice playground and they worked hard to learn because it was a no stakes type of atmosphere. Have a wonderful year.

@msashlylcot @chase.kirkpatrick Here’s an example of using Formative for task cards and simultaneously supporting kinesthetic-tactile learning. Students are expected to move about and also use a ruler to find the area, perimeter, and volume of different objects. I used to do something like this in my classroom, but didn’t know about Formative at the time! It would have been super helpful for being able to tell how my students were doing as they moved around. I made the visual with Piktochart!

I’m hoping to promote a growth mindset by focusing on formative assessment and using a flipped learning model. Formative gives me the tools and adaptability to make this happen.

This is a goal I have as well. I was thinking a it would be a great feature to be able to ‘unlock’ formatives for individual students instead of opening up for entire group. Does that makes sense?

Great use of formative. You will get to provide timely and effective feedback. Love the way you are looking at taking on the coaching role.

I’ll be doing a lot more with sims. I used to upload and transform what I had, but found that evaluating and giving feedback was a bit cumbersome. I took the time over the summer to type things into formative using a variety of question types that allow for more auto-grading which gives me more time to go in and provide feedback.

Love how formative allows you to interact with your students more and how you were able to make adaptations that met your needs. Thanks for sharing

Can you tell me more about what made it cumbersome? What could we improve with respect to evaluating and giving feedback with the Upload & Transform feature?

It was really because they had originally been meant to be paper based, so there were things that needed to be eliminated in order to make them device friendly: places where a graph would be that then also had to be uploaded as a show your work making things redundant; Quality of uploads was not very good and students complained of not being able to see the questions, let alone answer them, so I would upload only to have to retype; those that were not retyped then when grading I had to go back and forth to see what question was being answered; things that could be multiple choice or categorize that again ended up needing to be retyped to take advantage of autograding. Things like that.

Ah that makes sense! We can definitely consider making this option more intelligent in the future so that it works for things that are meant to be paper-based. I think that would be sweet!

I have definitely heard this before. One possible solution would be allowing you to make snippets of the portion of the doc that a question refers to so you can view it on the View Responses page. A quicker possible improvement would be making it so that you could view the document you uploaded on the View Responses page as well. Do you think this would be significantly more beneficial than just putting the document side by side with the View Responses page (in a separate tab) as you can currently do?

I think we are all guilty of that. I feel that formative has helped me greatly with giving feedback quicker!

I think this one would be better since making snippets would be akin to doing what I did - taking the time to just retype and re-organize.
Similarily, if we could upload a partial pdf or doc and have it show in whatever size the upload is as opposed to having it show as a “full page” would eliminate the retype issue. However this can already be worked around by creating images (snipping the doc) and uploading as an image with a “blank” question, so I don’t know that there is a need for it. (This is what I have done with many of the Gizmos and simulation sheets)