What challenges do you face with feedback, and how can students, colleagues, parents, or leaders help you overcome them?

Here’s Q3 from this week’s #formativechat about giving meaningful feedback (hosted by Mark Barnes)! As always, we’d love to hear your input!

@informed_members @Certified_Educators

Also, if you want to catch Mark in action, make sure to sign up for our free, virtual #FormativeSummit. It starts in 1 week!

2 Likes

My biggest challenge is ensuring students understand the purpose of feedback and then giving them opportunities to show they how they are utilizing the feedback.

2 Likes

My biggest challenge I face with feedback is that a lot of it in primary has to be verbal feedback. My students often struggle with reading and comprehending feedback if I write it on an assignment. I rely on parents to look through assignments with their students to discuss areas of growth when I cannot give feedback to each student.

3 Likes

Here’s a feedback flow chart by @alison that students can use to process feedback and show they’ve applied it!

2 Likes

Have you ever tried to give them audio feedback on assignments? That way they can review it repeatedly? You could use https://www.speakpipe.com/ to record it and paste the link in as feedback within Formative!

Most of the time, my feedback is face to face with my students; verbal response. My students seem to understand their feedback better that way. Our parents usually do not see the formatives, but they see the scores when I enter them into our grade book. If there are other ways of providing better feedback I would love to hear from others!

2 Likes

I typically use vocaroo, since it is free :slight_smile: but I like the idea of leaving the link as feedback on Formative!

1 Like

Ah good point! It’s definitely a plus that Vocaroo is free. Speakpipe has a free version too. I am not sure what the limitations are but it’s worked well for me: https://www.speakpipe.com/voice-recorder

A challenge I have is students not reading the feedback and then asking me why they got the problem wrong. When I provide feedback, I am allowing the student to try and fix their own answer v.s seeking me right away.

3 Likes

I know another teacher that keeps a stamp and ink pad with her when she grades, The stamp says “not quite there yet” and she stamps it beside the items that need work when it is an assignment on paper. Do you have the problem that you mentioned on Formative as well, is that what you were referring to?

1 Like