What areas do you want to grow in as an educator who uses formative assessment?

multi-disciplinary

Summer’s here and it’s a great time reflect on teaching! Following up on the #formativechat that me and @rdene915 led on Monday, we’d love to hear what aspects of formative assessment you’d like to work on! I’d personally love to offer resources to help!

You can reply below!

42%20AM
@informed_members @Certified_Educators

Our new principal next year is requiring all teachers in our school to have a Learning Check for each concept/Learning Target taught. This could mean multiple learning checks in a 90-minute period. We can have a LC be an exit ticket, but to me, that’s too late. My area of growth would be to use Formative as a LC that will give me feedback for differentiation for leveled practice on that concept.

My Formatives have always acted as a form of LC because I break each Learning Target down into several building formatives anyway. I’d like to have my ‘official’ learning checks to be Formatives. The official learning check would be a sort of ‘starter’ page, with scores available upon submission. Each problem would correspond to a specific leveled formative. I think I’m going to have the first missed problem be that student’s starting place in the leveled formatives. Once the students and I know their starting places, I can group students however I need to based on that data.

If you see any flaws or ways to improve upon this idea, please share!

I want to get better at using a variety of formats throughout content areas. Instead of just multiple choice, single answer questions I want to get better at deeper understanding of using formatives in writing etc. I am very good at using a variety of types- formative, Kahoot, flipgrid, white boards, pinch cards just want to grow in using the data and pinpointing exactly what the data is saying.

Hi! Not knowing what you teach I think this is a great idea. We use DOLs, demonstration of learning, for each learning target. I got good at chunking and checking this year. It is so helpful with fluid differentiation groups. Just curious-Does your principal expect you to take grades on each LC?

I teach Algebra 1. How did you do the ‘chunking and checking’ in your class?

I don’t believe he will require grades. My understanding is that it’s designed to help identify learning errors as we teach, so we can differentiate instruction so that students are better prepared for the test.

Pinch cards, whiteboards for quick math-I mark a clipboard of students, give 3 problems, dot next to their name if they get it wrong. For further in learning target have a formative with steps, like PEMDAS, can see where errors occur or move on if they are all there.

I love this idea. Do you find that one question is enough to determine which leveled formative a student should begin working on?

I would love to grow in trying to help all of my students and make sure that they all understand what I’m doing and what they should be getting.

Also curious as to find different methods to do so that are not the usual one that we have always used.

I think this is a great goal, Mrs. Rochon! Here’s a presentation that @mgarcia @d.vendramin & @michael.lutz made with ideas for using a couple other question types. I will definitely be thinking about resources to help you interpret the data that you are getting and share those as well. In general, what are you looking for when you look at student work (ex: common mistakes, common strategies)? Are you finding that it’s tough to efficiently find trends in learning when questions are more open-ended (ex: Show Your Work response)?

I believe so… here’s an example for the Learning Target 20: Adding & Subtracting Polynomials. Below you will see the four mini-lessons I made to build the concept and the problem I would use to associate with each mini-lesson.

The mini-lessons are building up to being able to a mixed review of adding & subtracting polynomials like they will see on the test.
20.1 - Do they know how to combine like terms if the terms are in the same order?
20.2 - Did they remember to reorder the terms in order to add properly?
20.3 - Do they know how to rewrite the subtraction problem as an addition problem?
20.4 - Do they know how to rewrite as subtraction, reorder, and combine like terms?

Say a student got 1 & 2 right, but missed 3 & 4. I would allow them to skip 20.1 and 20.2 formatives and start on 20.3. If a student got all four correct, I would still have them do 20.4 (since it’s the ultimate practice for the test) while they sit with students from a lower group so they can field questions while I work with the lowest group of students. There would also be some sort of extension or enrichment problems/activity beyond 20.4.

Watching some of the tutorials on youtube and I am finding the formative examples as being a bit lower level… I want to find what they understand, make things accessible for everyone while making them think.

Have you checked out our library yet? I just wrote this post about formatives that promote critical thinking, which features formatives from it:

I would love to have differentiated assessments for all my math content this coming year. I started to dabble with it at the end of the year. I had 3 levels of student rated confidence in the skills and I knew their feelings based on the formatives they chose. This helped me gage how they felt personally.

I love this idea, Kelsey! As for other resources on differentiating formatives, I encourage you to check out this website that @mgarcia made. If you go to the “Process” section there are some great examples of tools you can use for assessment:

Great question… as I reflect on how I have used formative the last few years I have really kept it pretty traditional and even when looking at my formatives I have used it more for my summative assessments! I want to move to creating more interactive formatives and use them frequently. I really would like to get at the formative measurement of where my students are are at to guide my instruction. I would like to grow in the use of appsmashing and incorporative formative into the labs.

This year we will be teaching biology with NGSS storylines and also be 1 to 1. I want to be able to incorporate formative into our use of storylines and also trying to use it as part of student portfolios. Any ideas?

thanks
Geoff

@freymuge It’s great to hear that you are exploring more ways to use Formative. If you haven’t checked this out, @ndyer shares some great ways to use Formative for labs in her webinar:

Also, I just read up a little on NGSS storylines and love the idea of helping students understand the purpose of what they are learning through exploring phenomena and creating their own exploratory questions to answer. I am not a @Science_Educators, but one idea I thought of is to use Formative to invite students to share the questions they are thinking of as they explore phenomena. I could see it being beneficial to project the responses and discuss common and unique questions that they think of. I’ve also seen educators use Formative as an interactive science notebook where students can keep notes/observations that they make as they progress through a unit (or in this case, a storyline). Check out this example from Kathleen Davis. I’d love to hear other ideas that science teachers have!

Well, first of all I want to follow my students on different standards throughout the year. I haven’t seen the ACTFL (Foreign Languages) standards in Formative yet, but I am sure that we can include them (or maybe it happened while I wasn’t looking! You guys are awesome).
This would help me and my World Languages colleagues with our SLOs (Student Learning Objectives).
Also, since I am relatively new to Formative, I want to try out all of the features. As a World Languages teacher, the audio is an amazing feature and the ability to put links to other apps in a Formative (EdPuzzle, Quizlet, etc.) is a phenomenal feature as well.
I also want to include my own tutorials, which I make on Explain Everything, on Formatives. So… lots to think about. Thank you for all your help and enthusiasm! :slight_smile:

If the standards aren’t there yet, just email a copy (or a link) to @david. He’s really good about getting our standards aligned with Formative.

@djohnson As Tricia mentioned, I am happy to work with you in getting your standards added to Formative :slight_smile: Basically the process is we first ask the educator to check that they have been added to the source that we draw them from. Once they are added there, we can help with getting them added to Formative. I just messaged you so we can get this process started! If others are reading this later and want to get their standards added, just message me in the community and we can work together as well.