What are some ways you currently allow for choice in how students show their learning?

@informed_members @Certified_Educators

On Monday night, Divergent EDU author Mandy Froehlich, hosted a wonderful #formativechat about diverging from what’s been done and creating new possibilities for student choice within asssessment.

We’d love to continue the conversation here and start by asking you Q1…what are some ways you currently allow for choice in how students show their learning?

Ds9x5HcXcAAdkfT

Shout-out @rdene915 for organizing the chat with us each week and recruiting such wonderful guest hosts like Mandy!

1 Like

This was another great chat, love the different themes and questions. I use PBL and also Students can choose activities in the different learning stations and also when we do projects.

2 Likes

Q1: I allow students to choose between a traditional end of unit assessment of a performance assessment. For this I allow them to choose a digital or physical representation of the unit content. We confer to decide if the project idea has adequate depth of knowledge.All projects are evaluated using the same single point rubric. I am such a fan of this rubric!

3 Likes

Q1: I’m taking babysteps toward introducing more choice. One of my current experiment is a DIY study aid. I give them a list of each content learning target for a unit and they create something that demonstrates their current mastery of the topic–a written response, a diagram, a poem, whatever comes to mind. I’m looking forward to seeing how they do!

1 Like

That’s awesome, Kathleen! What percentage of students choose the performance assessment over the traditional end of unit assessment?

This is really cool! Your response reminded me of Wesley Fryer’s website where he offers different options for students to share their learning with technology.I definitely encourage you to check it out!

1 Like

Providing student choice for their responses can be challenging. It would be nice to be able to allow students the choices on how they are going to answer the question. Either typing, drawing, pictures or video responses. Providing student choice is harder than many teachers want to admit.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I like that idea a lot!