What are some of your favorite uses of Formative?

@informed_members @Certified_Educators

This is Question 2 of our week-long slow chat titled “Exploring New Heights with Formative”. The goal of this slow chat is to tap into some of the fantastic ways that our @informed_members & @Certified_Educators are employing to improve student learning.

If you missed Question 1 yesterday you can find it here

Here is Tuesday’s question:

3 Likes

I love being able to give feedback that is real and meaningful in the moment

2 Likes

I love using https://www.iframe-generator.com/ to embed almost anything. That was my formative game changer. Now I can use Formative to stitch together fantastic technology found all over the web into one coherent lesson. I can even embed things that require student sign in - but the students do not have to flip between tabs or windows - it’s all right there.

2 Likes

I use Formative daily for bell ringer work while I do my perfunctory duties.

1 Like

Love using formative for delivery of instruction. I embed all sorts of things and have students work on them, giving me the time to pull small groups for other activities.

2 Likes

I love it for use in small groups because you can “push” formatives out to different groups, know what they are having trouble with and help right away

2 Likes

Michael,
Here are some things I like to embed. What others do you like to use?

2 Likes

I love it for the privacy it gives students to try something new without worrying about what other students will think or say.

3 Likes

Used to be for a quick check in to see where the students were at (and still is), but has evolved into so much more. I love the show your work feature and being able to quickly and effectively share work and ideas. I have flipped many lessons using Formative and this has become an effective way to have students explore content and give/get quality feedback in a timely fashion. I love app smashing with Formative and providing students with a variety of learning tools in one convenient and easy to use environment. Use for exit tickets both for content and to check how students are feeling. These are a few of my favourite (Canadian Spelling) things.

3 Likes

Love that list (I have to check a few of them out!)

In addition to the one’s you mentioned, I like embedding:

https://www.voki.com/

3 Likes

I love to scaffold my formatives so that the students are getting help with their thinking without me directly instructing them.

1 Like

Jason -

I’m curious how you “push” formatives out to different groups. I would love to try this out but I’m not sure where to start.

Thanks,
Laurie

2 Likes

Since it is google classroom friendly i can push ass8gnments out and within classroom can pick the students that they go to

2 Likes

I do not use formative to the utmost of it’s abilities, but I do use it for exit tickets at the end of class to gain an understanding of how to adapt my lesson for the next day.

1 Like

My most common use for it as a check for understanding. Very important in the world of standards based grading. I’m teaching a new class this year that has a very wide spread of students/learning abilities. I’m looking to use formative to embed additional practice that some students can take advantage of instead of just having half the class finish first and then have nothing else to do.

1 Like

Have you used the standards tagging?

1 Like

I have for a few things. I teach many AP, and my College Board standards are not updated. @david did share with me what I would need to do, but it is time consuming. I was working on becoming certified. It will probably be a summer project.

1 Like

I use them for pretests and posttests and for review activities. They are easy to grade and easy to analyze, especially if tied into standards.

1 Like

I love the instant feedback. Great for goal setting and allowing students insight into my “teacher brain” for moving forward in lessons.

2 Likes

I am trying to work with @david to get some of the AP Standards up as well. Which AP course do you teach Jill?

1 Like