What are some of the biggest areas we (as educators) can continue to improve/explore more when assessing students? What are steps we can take?

Here’s Q3 from this week’s #formativechat. For this question, we turn our attention towards the future. In your opinion, what are some of the biggest areas we (as educators) can continue to improve/explore more when assessing students?

Where do you see the biggest room for growth within your schools? within your offline/online communities? What aspects of assessment need to be innovated the most?

41%20AM

@informed_members @Certified_Educators

Shout-out to our guest host, Rodney Turner and #formativechat co-organizer, @rdene915 !

As educators I think our biggest challenge is to try to anticipate the needs and skills for a future we don’t really know. I assume technology continues to be the forefront, so on campus I think a central focus is technology. On my campus some teacher use tech and some do not, so more cohesion would be good.

I also feel that writing can suffer with some formatives assessments (since MC is so easy to grade), so I want to incorporate more of that in my assessments.

I plan to utilize more of the audio aspect in Formative ( I could also incorporate Flipgrid) because I feel that it is important for students to be able to explain their thought process. Not everyone gets to an answer the same way and hearing how they reach an answer will help me in instruction. Additionally, their ability to concisely and coherently explain themselves and provide evidence to support their answer is an excellent life skill.

4 Likes

I love this insight! Is your school 1-1 with devices? If not, are your students able to use them for learning purposes?

This sounds like such a great strategy :slight_smile: I don’t think I’ve ever considered assessing students like this, but can now see how examining their thought-process can be super useful for informing the way we support students :bulb:

Our school is not 1-1 with devices. My department has 4 COWS (computers on wheels) to share. I am lucky that one of the COWS is stored in my room, so I tend to have more access. Every department has these and we have 6 separate computer labs . Our school is currently at about 2,250 students.

1 Like

I think also being able to anticipate the needs/skill levels and possibilities of students during assessments. I want to improve on being able to predict and anticipate what students are able to do and show for their assessments. I also believe in allowing student choice to present their information. We currently are a 1:1 district, so we have more ability in this area, but I need to work on holding students accountable for their work in their best way possible.

2 Likes

Interesting! Are you referring to formative or summative assessments? It’d be great to hear more about why you want to work on this :slight_smile:

I definitely agree that this is important. Is Project-based Learning (PBL) happening in your school? Using it could be a way to allow students to make choices in how they learn over the course of a unit and ultimately support them in determining how they want to demonstrate that learning.

I agree improvement can be made using differing forms of assessment and student choice. Sometimes students are prepared or do know material but have trouble with the way they are being asked to represent it. When I did formative assessments, sometimes I would have questions that specifically told student they could write or draw or make a flow chart to help me understand that they understood.

That would be a cool formative feature-allowing students a couple modalities to express their understanding. You can essentially do that with the draw feature but if you made it more apparent (student-you may pick a text box or you may have a blank writing pad) .

1 Like

Yes and no. PBL is classroom based and I like to implement this into my 5th grade classroom, since they will be working more with this style of learning in the middle school next year.

1 Like