Verb books...need suggestions

Hey Everyone!! It’s Marco :grinning:

My students are going to start making verb books in class to review regular ar, er, and ir verb endings within the next month. I have been using the same old boring book making techniques (construction paper, scissors, crayons/markers, glue, staples) for years and quite frankly I’m looking for new ideas.

Does anyone do anything differently with projects similar to this in class? I am open to suggestions other than making verb books. Any cool online tools/resources anyone has are welcome :slight_smile:

Thanks!!

Marco

3 Likes

Hi Marco. Have you ever used or made a HyperDoc? Here is an example that might interest you.
Conjugating Verbs HyperDoc

Let me know if you are not familiar with HyperDocs and I would be happy to fill you in.

2 Likes

@msashly…that HyperDoc is absolutely amazing. :grin: I love it! This is exactly the type of online activity I have searching for as a replacement for boring old verb books. Did you put this particular HyperDoc together, or is this something produced by a student? It is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing. I would love to know more about HyperDocs. Is this an add-on I can get through Google? I am trying to become more tech savvy for the sake of my students. I would love any specific help or guidance you can offer! Marco

2 Likes

@Marco_Drapeau I did not put this one together as I teach adult education, but I use HyperDocs DAILY. This one I found on the website, https://hyperdocs.co/ I am obsessed with them because they completely transformed my teaching. To use the one I sent, you would need a Google account and then you would simply need to go to file, make a copy and edit it in anyway you see fit. I can,however, refer you to a couple of resources to get you started.

Here is a website I made that has few “how-to’s” as well as samples of ones I have made for adult educators.
HyperDocs for Adult Educators.

Another resources that would be more useful to you would probably be this HyperDoc Livebinder that will allow you to search various Padlets where educators have shared the ones they have created.

I also recommend joining their Facebook Group as people are very helpful and share some wonderful HyperDocs for all ages and subjects.

When I first discovered HyperDocs I purchased the HyperDoc Handbook which can be found on Amazon for about $20. It was definitely worth the investment. I hope this helps you get started! You might want to look on Youtube as well! If you have questions, feel free to ask!

1 Like

@Marco_Drapeau Just a few more things to help you understand HyperDocs.

1. You can make your own with a template such as this, Basic HD Template or 5E’s Template.
  2. Or you can use one that is already made, by making a copy and editing it to meet the needs of your students.
  3. Once you have one made, “share” the document with your students. They will then make a copy and add their name to the title and share their version back with you. From there, they are actively engaged and in control of the lesson. I use these as a class, independently, and for group work. I have event taken old PowerPoints and converted them into HyperDocs so that my students could be a part of my PowerPoint and the lesson instead of simply watching me go over the material.
2 Likes

@msashly…I cannot thank you enough for the wealth of resources you have placed at my fingertips! I don’t even know where to begin in thanking you. Your website is going to be so helpful to me. Do you do any PD on this? This would be an amazing PD for new teachers, or teachers that need more direction using technology. I love the padlet library resources too. They are absolutely amazing. I have already started going through the Livebinder, and I can’t wait to play around with the templates and create my own!! Thank you so, so much Ashly!!

1 Like

@Marco_Drapeau You are very welcome. I am currently working on putting together a webinar for an adult ed group that I am presenting for next week. I am hoping to expand this trianing to face-to-face trainings as well as future webinars. If you need any help, let me know!

4 Likes

@msashly…this would be a wonderful webinar idea for our Formative community too! Hyperdocs is an amazing tool!!! And you have so many amazing resources to share :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@msashly thanks for teaching me about HyperDocs! I agree @Marco_Drapeau ! It would be awesome to see a webinar like this in the community!

3 Likes

@Adam_Lincoln Thank you! I am going to do my first webinar tonight and tomorrow with adult educators. I hope this is something I can expand and do with others in the near future! The cool thing is you can always add Formatives to your Hyperdocs, which I do quite often!

3 Likes