Using formatives to gather student feedback

Happy Wednesday Formative Community!

I am so excited to announce our next Formative Tips & Tricks Pt. 2 that I will be hosting with the amazing Claire Doyle this Friday, January 5 at 3:00pm PST/6:00pm EST!

We have some more exciting updates to share and Claire will be showcasing her Formative Tip with everyone, so I hope you can join us!

We hope to see you on Friday! :grin:

7 Likes

What time does it start?

2 Likes

Hey @d.vendramin! It starts at 3pm PST/6pm EST :smile: Thank you for pointing that out too. I updated the post as well. We hope to see you there!

2 Likes

I’m going to try. I’m sure it will be a great session:grinning:

3 Likes

I live in Santa Barbara, so our school’s holiday party got reacheduled to the afternoon of January 5 because of the Thomas Fire. However, I will be sure to check out Formative Tips & Tricks Part 2 via the link later on as Part 1 was so helpful! Yay for iFrame Generator! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

@lwoodard, I am so thankful for the feedback you left on both YouTube and here in the Community! Thank you for watching! The iFrame Generator tip was awesome, I’m so glad Taniya shared it with us! If you are ever interested in being a guest, or being a co-host, let me know that too :smile:

Nicole

2 Likes

Thanks, @nicole! Once I get my WWII playlists into Formative, perhaps I’ll come on as a guest to talk about using playlists to differentiate instruction in Formative.

3 Likes

That would be amazing @lwoodard !!! Keep me posted, I would love to have you co-host with me :smile:

1 Like

Hi @nicole

I won’t be able to make your live session but I will definitely check out the video afterwards. Your first one was terrific so I’m eager to see how you demo the latest features!

With so many Formative updates happening on a weekly basis, it is enormously helpful to have catch up sessions like this so everyone knows what functionality exists.

I don’t know how many sessions you’re planning but it would be incredible if they occurred every time updates appear!

Thanks so much again and I look forward to watching your latest installment.

2 Likes

Sounds awesome. I would like to check out your WWII playlist.

3 Likes

I’ll let the Formative community know when they are ready. One is “novice,” and one is “expert.”

2 Likes

Hi @nicole

I finally managed to find some quiet time to watch this session and I am delighted that I did!
I am currently teaching grade 7 and 8 English and I absolutely loved the Formative that @clairesedoyle created and demonstrated! Thank you for sharing, Claire!

Aside from the wonderful new features, I particularly enjoyed the way you used multiple choice and short answer question types to get the learners’ feedback on how they felt the formative helped them and what else they need help with.

Terrific indeed and thank you once again for sharing!

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind note, Anthony! I’m glad you like my Formative. I’m starting to use Formative to collect feedback more and more often. It helps me, and it makes the kids grin when they see a question that asks them how they are doing in the midst of an otherwise impersonal Formative.

I saw in your bio that you have made an entire digital curriculum for seventh grade. If you have time, I would love to know more. How did you structure it? What platforms did you use?

Yours curiously,

Claire

1 Like

Hi @clairesedoyle

Great to hear from you! I love your idea of asking them how they’re doing amidst a formative as it reminds them that we’re still there and emotionally available to them. It’s an underrated value, indeed and I know from experience (as do most teachers I imagine) that learners need reassurance that what they’re doing is valued.

With regard to the digital gr7 curriculum, it’s basically just digital content that I created for the whole year’s syllabus using a host of Google, Apple and online tools but I’d love to share the ideas if you want!

Ant

4 Likes

@apeters I would be interested as well.

1 Like

Yes, please! I would love to see your materials and the tools you used.

1 Like

Thank you for the Tips and tricks, i liked the iframe generator and the idea to hyperlink a google doc to take notes for the pupils! Maybe it will even be possible to create a individually google doc for each student if this is assigned in google classroom?!

Ok @michael.lutz and @clairesedoyle

Give me a few days and I’ll post a G’Doc to you with all the blogs/tech instruction lessons I’ve done to this thread. It was the first day of the new academic year today and will be manic until end of next week as we leave for camp on Wednesday.

If I haven’t sent it to you by next Friday PLEASE remind me as I’d love to share and get your thoughts!

Ant

3 Likes

Thank you! I will look forward to that. Good luck in your first week! “Manic” is exactly the right adjective, I imagine.

Claire

3 Likes

Nicole thank you for the updates. I really love seeing all the new toys for the program. i was not able to see the last update you gave in the small box. what was that?
Claire thank you for taking the time to share with me. I am always looking for new ways to make my class more relevant for the kids.

2 Likes