Unassign and the Missing Data

Hey everyone!

Been doing some research into the unassign feature because I gave a test to my students and I am worried about them sharing or screenshooting between classes.

The plan was to assign the test to the students, have them take it, then unassign it, and grade it while it was gone from their dashboard, BUT now I cannot find the data. (I know that reassigning it causes the data it to come back, but that gives them access to it between classes)

I have found references (Unassigned Formatives and student ability to view) that are more than a year old to a “All” tab where this data has disappeared to but when searching the help site, I find no mention of an “All” tab anymore, but I did find
https://help.goformative.com/en/articles/2546205-unassign-a-formative

“Unassigning a formative from students in a class will cause their responses to disappear from your View Response page and Tracker. You can re-assign to the same class and their data will re-populate.”

Which is what I have already found out by myself.

Does anyone know where this data goes and if I can grade it and give feedback while it is unassigned? I know that when I click export on the data after they have been unassigned, the students data will show up as ‘guests’ and not in their regular classes.

Hey @paul.fischer

Have you considered closing the formative? If scores aren’t set to be returned and you close the formative, students won’t be able to access it. You can always re-open and update your assign settings to return scores in the future too. This would be great if you wanted to hide the formative while students aren’t in class or if you wanted to hide while you graded and then return to them.

Things in the Community may be out of date, but if you visit our Help Center we do our best to keep resources there current. :smiley:

Yes…but they will still see the question. This way they could work the problems out before coming to class.

My solution so far?

Create a fake student in each class, assign it to the entire class. Then after unassigning all of the students, I go back in and assign it to the fake student only. This lets me see all my data, and grade the assessment.

Also, my “Assign/Share” screen does not look like the one in the pictures there.

Heres what worked for me!

Currently, if scores aren’t set to be returned and you close the formative, students won’t be able to access it. You can always re-open and update your assign settings to return scores later. This would be great to do if you wanted to hide the formative while students aren’t in class and re-open when they are (as a way to prevent cheating) or if you wanted to hide while you graded and then return to them.

1 Like

Thanks for working this out, Paul. I haven’t had time to figure this out!

1 Like

Great to know @paul.fischer . Thanks.