Todays Meet in a Formative

Does anyone have a Formative or an idea of how to use TodaysMeet in Formative in a World Language or Social Studies class?

3 Likes

Hey @Danielle_Moore…this is a great question. I definitely have some tips. :slight_smile: I like the idea of a formative being a working document, especially in a foreign language classroom. You could use TodaysMeet as a bellringer, exit ticket, or classroom discussion space. You could even break your formatives into different sections and add the TodaysMeet activity to any “study set” formatives. Study set formatives are meant for review only, they are not graded formatives. TodaysMeet fits perfectly into those too.

If you want to use it as a stand alone activity, you could insert a Text Block prior to the embedded activity to give students directions on exactly what they should be utilizing the TodaysMeet “room” for. Let’s say you want your students to tell you one thing they did over the weekend in Spanish. Start by adding a Text Block. Next, you can create the “room” you want to use and embed that into your formative. Students will go to the formative as normal, log in to the TodaysMeet account and interact in the “room” you have created. You can view their names and comments at any time.

Let me know if you want to hop on a hangout and check it out in action, or if you want any other tips or feedback. I would love to see what you come up with :smile:

Nicole

3 Likes

@Danielle_Moore , I taught Spanish for a couple years as well! I could see inserting a Today’s Meet chatroom at the bottom of any formative as an “¿Hay Preguntas?” section where you could have students post questions that either you could respond to or other students could respond to. If you wanted to respond privately, you could tell the student that you are going to send the feedback over Formative! I could see this working well for a group activity where the focus is on practice!

I like @nicole 's idea too!

2 Likes

These are great ideas! I really like “study set” formatives because we do so much low stakes practice. Thank you!

3 Likes

This is a great way to respond to students while they are working within a formative, Can’t wait to try this.

4 Likes

I am glad to hear you like it! I’d love to hear how it goes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have never thought of using TodaysMeet in a foreign language classroom. This gives me some ideas. I think I might be able to use the text block to give some sentence stems and/or give grammatic structures for students to practice. In this case, we will be able to build a bank of statements. I am going to try this!

Alison

2 Likes

Awesome! Here’s another example how you can use Today’s Meet in your classroom, courtesy of @Lisa_Scumpieru !

3 Likes