Timed Assignments

We’re currently beta testing a new feature that lets a teacher set a time limit for an assignment. If anyone is interested in trying this out, it’s currently available to anyone with a premium account.

Screenshot from 2020-08-18 14-47-52

Students will be limited to the specified time to complete the formative. Once they begin, the timer cannot be paused. Answers are submitted automatically when the time is up or if the student manually submits the formative.

1 Like

I’d love to try this feature out! My email is khaas@benet.org

1 Like

Update: anyone with premium now has access to this feature :tada: :confetti_ball:

4 Likes

Even though there is a time limit they can still go back in and resubmit changes correct?

If the assignment setting “After submission” is set to “Allow edits”, the student can go back and change their answers and resubmit as long as the time limit has not been reached.

For example, if a time limit of 15 minutes is set, and a student starts the assignment at 9:05am, they have until 9:20am to complete the assignment. If “After submission” is set to “Allow edits” the student can edit their answers and resubmit up until 9:20am. If “After submission” is set to anything else then the student can only submit once, and the assignment is automatically submit and closed to them at 9:20am if they have not submit by then. This is true even if the student leaves the page or closes the browser.

Btw, a student has to initiate the start of the assignment:
Screenshot from 2020-08-19 21-50-22

I am interested! krandazzo@htps.us Thank you!

Hi there @msrandazzo, looks look you’re all set!

jjackson@fjuhsd.org
Definitely interested in Beta testing the time limit feature.

It should already be available to you in the assignment settings :slight_smile:

@chris1 Is there a reason behind the extra 1.5 minutes added to the time selected. Is there a way to change this?

@chris1 Is there a reason behind the extra 1.5 minutes added to the time selected. Is there a way to change this?

@kgarciasandoval Do you mean when you select a time in the assignment settings? For example, you select a 15 minute timer and students see 16.5 minutes as their time limit? Or do you mean your students have a time limit of 15 minutes (as an example) and seem to be getting 16.5 minutes to complete the assignment? If it’s the second case, could you let me know how you got that value of 1.5 minutes? Perhaps you’re looking at an answer timestamp and comparing it to the submission timestamp? Could you also provide me the url of the formative and an example student and I can take a look.

I would be interested. jwegis@kcusd.org

1 Like

@chris1 I am not sure if I understand the differences between the cases you describe. I have a formative that I used to test the timer function. I want to use it with my students but I wanted to make sure that I understood how it worked first. I went through 2 different iterations. For the first formative, I set the timer for 15 minutes. When I went to take the formative as a guest, the timer counted down from 16.5 minutes instead of 15. I then tried again with a timer set to 5 minutes. The timer when I tried this one counted down from 6.5 minutes. Is there a reason behind this addition of time?

@chris1 I am not sure if I understand the differences between the cases you describe. I have a formative that I used to test the timer function. I want to use it with my students but I wanted to make sure that I understood how it worked first. I went through 2 different iterations. For the first formative, I set the timer for 15 minutes. When I went to take the formative as a guest, the timer counted down from 16.5 minutes instead of 15. I then tried again with a timer set to 5 minutes. The timer when I tried this one counted down from 6.5 minutes. Is there a reason behind this addition of time?

@kgarciasandoval I can’t think of any reason that would cause that (it’s not intentional), does it always add 1.5 minutes? Maybe you could send me a screenshot if it’s reproducible, and the URL of the formative so I can take a look. Could you also send me the URL of the formative where this happened already?

@jwegis you should have access to this feature already.

This is a screenshot of the first trial for the timed test. The first window correctly showed that it was a 15 minute test but then gave some extra time. I tried it again just now and got the same results (extra 1.5 minutes) on a chrome browser on a windows PC. I did not get the extra 1.5 minutes on my mobile device. I did not change any of the setting at all from the time I tried it on one device to the time I tried it on the other.

I was going to add the welcome image of the timer displaying the 15 minute time limit but I am only allowed to add 1 image per post.

@kgarciasandoval thanks for the screenshot. When you go to time.is is your clock behind at all?

Thank you! I learned something new! The clock is behind on the device where I had the extra time but not on the others.
I really appreciate you looking into this!

Thanks for the update. Seems like something we will have to account for on our end. I should note that this type of clock offset would not give the student extra time, as a timer is started on the backend to perform the submission (if not already submitted by the student before the time runs out). In this case, you would likely see the assignment become closed with about 1 minute left.

Is the beta timer still available to try? If so, may I try it please? Email: theikes@qsd.wednet.edu
Thanks.