The things you learn the hard way - Beware "return scores instantly"

I love this ‘count down’ idea.

This would be amazing!!

I love this idea! Maybe after they surpass the limit, the question could be marked another color (ex: purple) to indicate that it will no longer tell them if there response is correct or incorrect. I could see it being an issue if it remained red because a student might enter the right answer and be misled. Do you think having this alternate color is a good idea?

This is definitely something we are considering!

That sounds great! Purple doesn’t show up in the normal range of colors for grading. Teachers could still override the color by manually grading it if it didn’t change to red/green upon the submission.

Hi, I agree this can be a problem, but sometimes I like that option, for example when I am trying to get students to organize their knowledge of Mechanical and Electromagnetic waves, this is a base knowledge list of facts and for my special needs kids and my English Language learners the ability to move around the facts until it turns green is useful. As I walk around I can watch and have conversations.

@Jodie_Jantz Thank you so much for sharing this, Jodie. It’s good to know how the “Instant Scoring” option (as it stands) can be helpful in certain scenarios :slight_smile:

I like this. It was a point I didn’t think of. If it remained gray, the students may think they had not answered, and if it remained red or green they may be misled. Having another color, such as purple, for questions that are complete but not able to be instantly scored anymore is a good idea.

This is why I usually don’t make questions that allow them to just click. I found this out the hard way (like you) several years ago, and decided then that I wouldn’t allow multiple choice or T/F questions. Limiting the number of chances is a great option.

oops… amazing the workarounds they find isn’t it?

Here’s my life hack. Place a reflective activity within your formatives. Asking students to engage in a reflective assessment is an excellent way to improve their metacognition (thinking about their thinking). I like to use Think Sheet. Students respond to one of the six prompts:

I’am still wondering_________________________
I understand___________________
I can apply my learning __________________________
A confusing part_______________________________
I think I’ll understand if better ___________________________________
If I don’t grasp a concept I can _________________________________

This subtle change will help students begin to see you value the learning process more than a grade and should help change the culture from working to pass to learning

I LOVE this idea, Lonnie! Plus, you can use the data you get from these questions to personalize learning. This will further show them the value of the learning process.

I put a mini self-reflection question at the end of each Formative. That way, even if the assignment is set to autograde, that last question stays ‘grey’ until I grade it and enter into my school’s online grade book. It’s a great visual cue for me to grade an assignment AND it gives students a chance to ‘talk’ to me about their learning. Great stems!

Nice. Please send me one of your favs.

Lonnie

I vary the final question within a strand/series. Below are some of my favorite mini-reflection questions/prompts:

• Explain how you solved any problem from this assignment…
  • Johnny said the answer to __ was _____, how would help him understand where he went wrong?
  • If I gave you a test with problems similar to these, what score do you think you would get out of 10 points? Why?
  • How do you feel about solving _________________ problems?
  • The hardest problem for me on this assignment was ___ because …

And my ultimate favorite is:

• Select all the statements that apply to ___________ type of problems:
    • I forgot to… (list a common error associated with that particular type of problem)
    • I multiplied coefficients instead of adding them.
    • I forgot that X has an exponent of 1.
    • I forgot that any number to the power of 0 is 1.
    • I dropped a - sign somewhere.
    • I would like a peer tutor to help me practice more.
    • I rock at these types of problems.
    • I could be a peer tutor for these problems.

That is great! I read this and said “Now, why didn’t I think of that?”

That’s why we have this great site to share. It a life hack; a usually simple and clever tip or technique for accomplishing some familiar task more easily and efficiently. Before this summer I hadn’t even heard the term until a third year teacher at my school thanked me or giving him one.

Lonnie

Last semester I had the same trouble with my students…

Sorry to hear that. How would you ideally like us to improve this feature?