Special Characters

I am trying to add the dot in hydrates. ie. SnCl5 5H2O should have a dot (like used in multiplication) where the space is located. Thank you for your help!

2 Likes

What I usually do in cases like this one is find the character and then copy/paste it into Formative.

SnCl5 ⋅ 5H2O
SnCl5 ● 5H2O

You could also try to use the equation editor, which would also allow for the subscripts.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

It depends on your OS · Interpunct (interpoint, Centred point, Middle dot)

MacOSX ⇧ + ⌥ + 9
Windows Alt + 0183
Ubuntu Ctrl+Shift+U, then type “00b7Enter”

2 Likes

I tried using the character viewer and pasting, but it was still just a space. Thanks anyway!

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll try that.

1 Like

character formatting functionality needs to be added on the student response side please.
ie. subscripting, superscripting in student responses.

1 Like

Hi @khawks :wave:
Students do have character formatting functionality in Essay question responses (bold, italic, underline, subscript, superscript, Latex, bullet points, numbered lists, headlines, and hyperlinks). They don’t have this functionality in Short Answer questions, as it would make it difficult for our auto-grading feature to function. If your students need to format their responses, you could consider using an Essay question type?

I hope this helps! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion, I tested and see that students do have this functionality in essay Q_types. Thank you for informing me that adding this functionality to the “correct answers” sections creates problems for auto grading.
I would choose no subscripts and auto grading over manual grading essay Q-types.
K.

1 Like