Show your work with photography

Do you have students who prefer working on a piece of paper? No problem: they can take a picture with the ipad and put it in “show your work”:

That is actually an idea from one of my students! :slight_smile:

This would help @Math_Educators in working with equations. :wink:

10 Likes

This is something that my students have also done in science as they record results of an experiment, even taking pictures of whatever it is they are doing during a lab :slight_smile:

2 Likes

much easier than trying to recreate everything by typing on the keyboard - some students just need to write it out!

2 Likes

My students have tried this with their chromebook, but the image is always backwards. Does anyone have a good solution for this? Is there a way to edit uploaded pics within Formative?

2 Likes

Hmm, I wonder if it has to do with how they orient the image in front of the camera. Currently you can resize images using the selection tool on the Show Your Work canvas, but there is no way to rotate it. We can definitely consider adding this in!

4 Likes

Yes, please. This would be a big help, @david

3 Likes

This trick from Seesaw forum works!

You can record video or take a picture this way

3 Likes

This is genius! In science, it can be used during labs so students that do not have a smartphone can record their experiments. On to Amazon to get me a class set of compact mirrors :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Darcey_Teasdale my students thought their images were backwards on the chromebooks right after they took them. But once “saved” and then uploaded they appeared correctly. It now takes them about 10 seconds to get their whiteboard image onto the Go Formative Show your work section.

5 Likes

Yes, please, David. My students have asked me for this when we make digital collages!

1 Like

How do students access the camera feature? Is it a certain question format?

2 Likes

When you use the “show your work” question type, students can choose to type, draw, upload or take pictures. (There will be a toolbar to the side of their screen when they click on the canvas)

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, Claire! This has been something on our Certified Educator feature vote, but we may just add it separately if we continue to hear it from more teachers!

1 Like

I love to use snapshot. It is an amazing teaching/learning tool which can be used to explain lessons and things of that sort.

1 Like

Thanks for that share. I hadn’t noticed that! My Ss do all their work on paper, so the pictures would help!

1 Like

What picture format works (png, jpeg, …)?