Sharing a Formative! Finding the Slope of a Line using Graphs and Tables

math

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to share one of my Formatives that I use during my station rotations. I have embedded some of the videos I have made so that my students still get some instruction by me while I am busy working with another group of students :slight_smile:

I love how easy it is to have everything in one place in the Formative activity with the videos and class activity! My students also love being able to go back to the videos if they need help. Below is the link to the Formative. Feel free to use or reply with any suggestions to enhance my Formatives!

Finding the Slope of a Line Using Graphs and Tables

Have a good day,
Cara

I really love how you are using a combination of Show Your Work questions and “close-ended questions” (short answer, MC, T/F) to both see how students are finding the slope and to get instant feedback on what they believe the slope is. This reminds me of the discussion that’s happening between @alison & @apeters and how important “close-ended” questions can be!

Thank you for sharing! I will definitely use this for my small group remediation session :slight_smile:

I really liked your formative senger 13! Can I ask how or what software you are using to create your own videos (if that was in fact you on them) and how hard it is to do? I’ve been thinking of doing this but need a bit of encouragement there :slight_smile:

When I put videos into my goformative I find that my students don’t watch them even when they DO need the explanation. I find if my first question after the video is a question about the video, I am more successful in getting them to view it. I also plan on trying to embed an “edpuzzle” video into my formative. Edpuzzle allows you to ask question while the video is playing to better ensure engagement.

Again, I don’t know if you experience the same problem I do but just trying to give you some ideas/feedback for future go formatives! Thanks so much for sharing!

I really like your use of Formative in stations. We will begin our reviews for our end of course exam, and I see this as an excellent review tool. Since I will have to basically review a years worth of material in about three weeks, this method would allow me to even use a different formative at different stations. It is so crucial during this time that students know quickly if they are doing problems correctly so we are not reinforcing misconceptions right before high stakes testing.
Thanks for sharing, I can’t wait to use Formative for stations!

Hello! Thanks for sharing your input with the Formative. I am with you when it comes to students watching videos. I actually use EdPuzzle as well (to hold the students accountable) but for the purposes of sharing this particular Formative, I uploaded the videos from YouTube.

Also, I did create the videos. I use Keynote to create the presentation and then I use Camtasia, which is a screen casting program that allows you to make edits after you create the screen cast. Using the program is very easy once you are used to it and I definitely suggest giving it a try!

I used goFormative as an optional final review. During class half the students who were seniors needed to take their final exam. The other half of the class was given a choice of a review formative where I had questions followed by a video if the student need more help. Here is my formative: https://goformative.com/formatives/YFN8EC4PNWzY2t7Lm The students that wanted extra review it was a good alternative for them. I had selected problems that I thought would be the harder ones for the students and created questions that were similar.

I use Formative as a review for tests, as well as using it for midterm and final exam reviews. For the test, I have students put in the answers and work like you have shown in your formative above. However, for the midterm and final exam reviews, I set each problem as a Show Your Work problem, but instead of the kids working out the problems, I have worked them out in that work space. That way students can do their review packet on paper, but them open my Formative to compare their answer and work against mine. I like this format as opposed to just posting my answer key as a whole for students to view; students open one problem at a time to compare. Also, if I make a mistake on one problem, I can easily go back and edit that individual work space. I can also color code my steps so students can ‘see’ the math steps easier.

This is a really cool strategy, Tricia! Have you thought about adding reflection/check-in questions into your “answer key” formative? For example, after each question you could ask students to indicate whether they need help with it using a T/F question. Or at the end of the formative, you could asks students to specify which skills they need to work on and based on their responses, provide links to resources using the feedback option. Just a thought!

I have reflection/check in problems in all my other Formatives so I can catch issues early in the lesson, however adding them to my ‘answer key’ would be helpful as well. Students could post questions as they review (or at least direct me to look at comments they’ve typed/highlighted in specific Show Your Work spaces). Thanks for the suggestion!