Scheduling Formatives to Assign Automatically

@david and @nicole - I was thinking that it would be cool if we can schedule formatives to be assigned and become live automatically. I love how Google Classroom does this. I normally have to assign the formative the morning that I am going to use it and then I have to place each link in my Google Classroom and schedule them to push out each period during the course of the day. If I could get it to be automatic with scheduling it to assign, then I could get the link and put it in earlier and have my formative ready to go days before if I wish. I don’t know if anyone else has this problem/wish, but I figured I would throw it out there. Have a great day. It’s snowing here and we are making Christmas cookies!

@Lisa_Scumpieru Just tell your students to login at goformative.com. If you assigned a test it will show up there. There’s no point in posting all the links in classroom:

I love the idea, that Formatives could be scheduled in Formative!

@Lisa_Scumpieru The ability to schedule formatives is a great idea that would benefit both Google Classroom and non- Google Classroom teachers.

To clarify, are you scheduling them in Google Classroom the morning you are going to use them because you don’t want students to access them via their Formative dashboards days before? A workaround is to assign the formative in advance so you can grab the link for it and then immediately un-assign it. This will “de-activate” the links while still allowing you to post them.

You can then post the links for the formatives in Google Classroom and schedule them for a given date and time. Then, when it’s time to actually have students take them, you can assign the formative to the desired classes and the link will become “active” again so they are able to take the formative. I know this isn’t ideal but it may make things a little less hectic on the day that you give the formative :slight_smile:

@michael.lutz Thanks for jumping in to help out! I think @Lisa_Scumpieru wants to prevent students from accessing the formatives from their dashboards early.

Improvement ideas for Formative - wish list

Yes, I do want to make sure they don’t access the formatives early. I like the suggestions and did not realize the assign link is the same each time you use it. I just assumed that it was different each time like some other programs. Your workaround sounds like a solution to my dilemma. I think I will try it out this weekend for my formative on Monday. :slight_smile: Thank you!

I am glad that helps! And it’s great to hear you are getting in the Christmas spirit! I bet the cookies are delicious!

@Lisa_Scumpieru. I’ve been wanting something like this for a long time. I have Google Classroom like yourself and will post the links in the class when I’m ready for them to complete it. I would love an scheduling feature when to open and close. Yes, I can go in and do both manually but having it scheduled would be so helpful!

I recorded that you want this!

Scheduling would be so helpful! I have to stand in the hall every passing period and I don’t always remember to make an assignment active for the current period. I also like the idea of making an expiration date/time. So I don’t have to stop what I’m doing to close a session.

Scheduling would make it automatic!

Thanks for sharing that you’d like the ability to schedule a formative as well! I recorded your feedback :slight_smile:

I really like this because when i try to get ahead and make formatives live, I have kids doing them at home or in the hall before class haha

awesome! I recorded that you’d like this as well :slight_smile:

I also didn’t realize that the link was the same each time the Formative is used. Great to know for the future, though!

I agree, I’d also like to be able to schedule a formative to go live on a particular day, rather than having to open the assignment manually. Saves class time for assessments that I want students to access only in class. I’ve worked around this by putting the link into a classroom assignment, and then setting that assignment to open at a particular time, but it would be nice to have that feature directly integrated into the formative platform.

Noted! Thanks for the detailed feedback!

Great idea! I never thought of doing that. :slight_smile: