Restructuring the Classroom

multi-disciplinary

My cohort and I have become so psyched by all the new avenues to reach, teach, and assess students (like Formative, EdPuzzle, Quizziz, Zip Grade, etc.) that we have begun working to restructure how we teach and deliver material as well as restructuring the classroom . We are not ones to dive into the flipped classroom like some of our math colleagues. We don’t really want to follow the trend of couches in a classroom (although I do have rungs and lots of pillows and blankets that my 9th and 10th graders love)
We would like a more student centered approach where we may have direct teach for the whole class once or twice a week, but the rest of the time is student led lessons and independent/partner/group work. I would like to have a reteaching and conferencing area in my room. In essence, I envision a loose format of the ‘centers’ you often find in the younger grades, but I don’t want students to think of them that way. We just see a need in our Pre AP classes to be able to allow some students to soar while those who are struggling more will have more access to us.

Is anyone doing something like this that is working? Have your tried something and it failed? I would love any and all feedback as we work this year to prep for next. I knew that you all would have great ideas and suggestions.

Not sure if you have heard of blended learning? Its similar to stations… where each group is working on something different. Some can be working on a formative, some in a teacher group, and others doing other various tasks. This allows you to group students by ability levels. Not sure if this was what you were looking for, but you may want to research it!
FYI I would SIMPLY love to get rid of my furniture and have bean bags and rugs…etc.

This is definitely part of what I was looking for- thank you!

I think what Darleen_Perez has suggested is an amazing approach.

Blended learning enables students to become responsible for their own learning, thus more independent. It is important to set routines from the beginning of the year, this would help with such situations and have students knowledgeable of how things are done in the classroom.

Students may rotate to choose a station to start with, or they can have them as tasks assigned and complete each as they are done with the first. Having a variety of choices based on interests and learning styles would be something to consider when planing such stations.

Adding a carpet/rug with some cushions at one corner of your classroom would surely change the feel of the classroom.

The link provides the types of how blended learning can be done.