PD Opportunity / MADPD

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I’d share a PD opportunity that is coming up called MADPD (Make a Difference PD) It’s a chance to do PD in your PJs (one day online using google hangouts). This is the second year for this and last was a blast. I’m doing two sessions one on Formative Assessment Using goformative and one on Minecraft in the Math Classroom. I think there is room for a few more presenters if interested too. Check it out https://mrcssharesease.wordpress.com/m-a-d-p-d/

#MADpd 2018 May 6, 2018 - submission to present due March 30th

4 Likes

@new_members @informed_members

Thus webinar starts in 10 minutes! This is going to be an awesome opportunity to learn new Formative ideas from some of our amazing @Certified_Educators

Tune live or later:

5 Likes

I enjoyed sharing our Formative Journey on #MADPD. Thanks @david @mgarcia @mlschnick :grinning:

3 Likes

Thank you @d.vendramin for the opportunity. It was fun :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@mgarcia you were awesome I hope to be able to present with you again some day.

4 Likes

@david @d.vendramin @mgarcia @mlschnick
Thank-you for sharing your formatives. I really like that what I have already created can be used here without having to totally recreate everything. That is a great tip! Thanks.

5 Likes

Meredith and Mariana – I, too, love the Show your Work question. When we had class sets of iPads, it was easy for students to just take a picture and upload it as their answer. It was harder the last few years to get students to use their ThinkPads, but they did like taking and screenshots that were uploaded in Formative or in Google Classroom.

Mariana – I like the comprehensive Formative. It’s a nice ‘package’ for a topic or even a unit. My students, however, seem to get overwhelmed and quickly give up, so I tend to break each learning target down into mini-lessons. This way they can feel a sense of accomplishment as they work through the lessons, and they see lots of ‘green’ before they get their first red because they work problems from easy to hard.

David – You mentioned scaffolding. I like to think of my mini-lessons as a form of scaffolding with chunking. I can easily see the math step where the students are going wrong, and each mini-lesson builds one step at a time. Self assessment is also a big part of my Formatives. I like to let students give their opinions on how they feel or how they think they did. I especially like ending my Formatives with such a problem (without an answer key). I have several classes where students work at their own pace, so it’s nice to have a ‘grey’ bubble to know that I haven’t scored that Formative nor entered it in my grade book.

Dean – I LOVE the idea of using Formative for sub notes. EDpuzzle allows me to ‘teach’ and ‘ask questions’ as the video plays. It’s easy for a sub to present with the guest link a well. In class, I also like to display the response page and simultaneously praise students for ‘rockin’ along and warn ‘slackers’ that I’m going to start calling them out if they don’t start working. The kids like seeing lots of green for the whole class, too. It also helps students identify peer tutors if they are stuck. They simply look at the chart and see who has green for their troublesome problem. I LOVE the Emoji Formative. That would be perfect to use as a Mathitude (math attitude) survey at the start of the year… and then again later do discuss how they’ve grown as mathematicians.

My favorite part of this webinar is putting faces to names. :heart: I remember looking at Dean’s Formative on formative assessment in a different post, and I’ve been communicating with Mariana frequently as I organize my gamification management tools. I hope to present with each of you sometime in the future. :slight_smile:

3 Likes