Numeric Questions

math

So, I’ve been working on my free trial of the premium version, and I have some questions about the numeric type of question. Does it actually look at the value as a number? For example, if I have an answer that is supposed to be 1/2, will it count 1/2, 0.5, an .5 all as correct answers? Or do I need to enter them all?

I have a similar question when it comes to inputting answers and spaces. If I have a question that has an answer of y - 8 = 3(x + 2), do students need to enter their answer with the same spacing as I did, or would y-8=3(x+2) also be counted as correct?

In my experience, the answer to your question is yes, you will need to allow partial matches of all iterations in order to be counted as correct.
This is an example of a formative I was just grading:

To save me some time, what I usually do is input my correct, but then, as I am looking at their results, I’ll go back and add the way they wrote it. So in your example, I would probably have had “y-8=3(x+2)”, and only input “y - 8 = 3(x + 2)” after the fact. Be aware that if you have return scores instantly, this will freak students out.

Thanks for that. Another question that you might be able to help with. I’m trying to have kids use interval notation, which sometimes requires differening symbols on the end, but I also want them to be able to use infinity. Whenever I type a left bracket, it automatically will add the right bracket, so I can’t have an intervale such as (3, 4]. Any thoughts?

Nevermind … seems like I can do it now.

For infinity, I usually have the students type +oo or -oo (little ‘oh’ little ‘oh’ no spaces). I usually include this in a set of instructions before the problems so they can copy and paste that format until they get used to it. I also try to put in a multiple choice problem that shows how I’ve typed the infinity character. I’ve also allowed +inf or -inf as well.

I agree! I try to think of every possible way a student can enter an answer. I do wish they would bring back the ‘edit the key while you’re grading’ feature that was in the old Formative. That way, if I needed to add another format, I could add it at the top of my grading page. (Sorry for the sloppy mouse-writing in the image below).

Tricia, I didn’t even know they had that old feature. That would be amazing to use again. Do you use numeric question types, or do you always use the short answer type where you use things like ^ for exponents?

Right now I have a mixture of both. I am trying to change my ‘old’ formatives that used the numeric question types over to ‘new’ formatives with the numeric answers so students can practice like our state testing does. The good part about using ^ is that it mimics calculator key strokes so students are making less errors when they graph equations on the graphing calculator.