Note Taking and Graphic Organizers

Hi Formative Community!!

I am starting a Unit on Organization in Writing with my ESL 6 class. I have been trying to create a formative that can be used as a graphic organizer for pre-writing activities. I want to help my ESL students become better with independent writing, and I think a great graphic organizer would be the best place to start.

Does anyone in the formative community have a formative they could share with me? Even if it is not graphic organizer specific, I would appreciate any resources that you have found helpful when it comes to teaching organization in writing :writing_hand:.

Dean

3 Likes

Hey @Dean_Ward!

Teaching organization in writing in ESL can be a challenging task. I teach elementary ESL, but I want to share one of my colleague’s favorite graphic organizers that she uses with her middle school ESL students. It is a very simple document that a colleague of mine created a few years back. It will not overwhelm your students at first site, and it allows a lot of room for organization of facts surrounding any topic.

I also attached a few other documents that you may find useful when it comes to organization of writing in ESL. Feel free to upload and transform them too! :grin: I also get a lot of use out of these documents with my higher level ESL students, so I think they will be perfect for your students at the middle school level.

I hope this helps!

Rodney

Informational Prewriting Sheet
Clone Code: XPPVWK
Share link: https://goformative.com/clone/XPPVWK

7 Likes

Also, I have used @GoFormative for uploading a graphic organizer (TPCASST) and clicking on the graphic organizer while students fill out what should go into each box on the formative. It helps them to see the visual graphic organizer clean and I can also pinpoint certain parts of the rubric or all if I want.

4 Likes

Here is an example of what I did with a graphic organizer: https://goformative.com/clone/CDQXNW. I hope this helps. Let me know what you think.

8 Likes

@Lisa_Scumpieru,

Wow! Thank you so much!! I am visually and academically amazed by your formative. :smile: Not only am I excited to have this resource, but I am also excited to share it, with your permission of course. Do you mind if I share your amazing formative? I know a few colleagues that will be jumping up and down when they see this.

Would you happen to have any formatives that focus on guided reading strategies? I am also going to post this request as a new thread.

Thanks again @Lisa_Scumpieru!! :smiley:

Dean

3 Likes

@Lisa_Scumpieru,

This is awesome! I can’t stop looking at this formative. I will definitely be using this as an example formative. I would also love to be able to share this amazing formative with my colleagues that teach ESL/English and use formative. Do I have your permission to share this formative with other teachers?

Rodney

2 Likes

Of course. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

3 Likes

I love this and plan to find a way to use it with my students, Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes