Newcomer Welcome (For Those Who Joined Between 11/02-11/14)

Happy Tuesday Formative Community!

With only a week to go till Thanksgiving, it’s got us thinking about some of the things we are thankful for. We are thankful for all the educators who’ve joined our community center so far and made it a meaningful hub for collaboration. Just in the past week, there have been so many amazing moments of educators sharing powerful ideas and others acting on them.

In particular, we’d love to give a HUGE shout-out to the educators who took the leap to lead our very first virtual learning sessions: @kallgood , @d.vendramin , @ndyer , and @Lisa_Scumpieru. Watching them was such an eye-opening experience. You can really see how much wisdom informs their teaching practices and their use of tools like Formative. Check out their sessions here!

We are also thankful to have so many talented educators join our community in the past few weeks as well.

Welcome! We are so excited that you’ve joined all of us on our collaborative journey to improve the lives of students. If you want to take time to just explore for now, that’s awesome! But if you’d like begin engaging with others, this is a great place to get started. You can reply below and tell us:

1. What is your name and what is your role in education?
  2. What’s a teaching topic/trend/method you are passionate about?
  3. What’s a teaching topic/trend/method you want to learn more about?

Here’s looking at you…

@Kanyiah_Brown
@20camineron
@jonathanap
@Lindsay_Danley
@Jean_Bivens
@sostanke
@pconlin
@Ashley_Warfield
@mmartens
@fst
@vincenta.corrado
@mnguyen
@jonesk5
@yazelj
@b.noelte
@Katie_Braymiller
@linda_mcCormick
@awatkins10
@kquinn
@dpeal
@jball
@hambsch
@furey.kelli
@Henry_Wang
@Jill_Nyahay
@andy.simpson
@Angela_Gonzales
@Andrea_Hansen
@rdene915
@klemieux
@tuckers
@emily.smith
@mad_eye_moody
@ebryan
@daparker
@mrhenggeler
@bjaquemai
@suttonc1
@mathquesteducator
@rpentz

We’d also love to formally welcome you…

@linda.hagen
@fbarhorst
@ashley.schenck
@msellers
@jrollins
@ndyer
@mbellish
@senger13
@mnunkester
@Stephanie_Hidalgo
@Pebble_Johnson
@tona.speltz
@faiza.berradagouzi
@gershone
@kjohnson
@allenp
@renee.stahl
@appelj
@tblakney

We are wishing you a very warm welcome to our community! If there’s anything you need, please don’t hesitate to request it in #General-Use, #specialized-application , or by messaging us! This is a special place where we can support and celebrate one another.

And to all our community members, happy holidays!

6 Likes

Shout-out to this week’s welcome committee: @tenos, @Jordan_Cambron & @apeters ! Thanks for welcoming our new members with me! If you are interested in joining the welcome committee, let me know!

Hi
My name is Gershon Eisenberger. I teach 4th grade Judaic Studies and Hebrew language in a Jewish Orthodox private day school in South Florida.
I am passionate about teaching foreign languages to my students and using technology to engage them in all of the subjects I teach.
I am always looking for ways to improve teaching Hebrew and I am always looking for ways to use technology for foreign language instruction and learning.
Looking forward to learning from and with everyone.

5 Likes

HI Gershone!
Welcome to the group!! Formative can certainly be a valuable resource for language instruction! The variety of responses and ease of use make it ideal for quick, manageable feedback! I wonder if you can even have your students record voices or videos and share the links in a formative as an answer?

Tracy

Glad to have you join the community. Formative has great features that you and your students will find very useful in your foreign language classes.

Hi @gershone

Welcome to the Formative Community! As @tenos already mentioned, there is a myriad of various question forms to use which are extremely useful for scaffolding learner understanding. I used to teach TEFL to foreign speakers of English so if you need some ideas with regard to the A1 (Beginner) to C2 (Proficiency), send me a message and I’ll send you some Clone Codes to copy some examples I’ve made to get started.

I look forward to hearing form you!

Hello all. My name is Pearson Allen and I teach Literature at a Catholic School in Memphis.
The method that I am most excited about in teaching is a deep understanding and appreciation of literature. But demonstrating that the logic that goes into understanding a poem, short story, novel, or play can be translated to understanding so much more.
The thing that I would like to learn the most about is how to better assess and grow my project-based learning skills and better ways to integrate technology into my classroom.

3 Likes

Hi @allenp

Great to have you join the community! I too get very excited about the potential with:

In my English lessons, I have used the different question types in Formative to ‘scaffold’ learner understanding. For example, I would use a few true or false questions which are fairly simple in order to support and engage the learner with the task (e.g. ‘This poem contains a rhyming scheme’ -T/F).

From there I would then use multiple choice or multiple selection question types with similar answers in order to challenge the learner further (e.g. 'Select the figurative language used within stanzas 1-3).

The questions would gradually become more complex (due to the similarity of the multiple choice/selection option choices) which can then lead the learner in a particular direction (e.g. ‘The unnamed narrator in the poem is a male. Identify the two words that exemplify his gender.’-M/S question).

After gradually scaffolding this understanding, you could then use the ‘Show your working’ node and ask the learners to draw a picture/symbol that represents the tone of the poem and then follow that up with an ‘essay question’ that requests the learner to justify the picture/symbol they used to exemplify the tone.

There are many different ways of doing this but the key, I think, is gradually scaffolding their understanding so that by the end of your questions, the learners will have a deep (as well as holistic) understanding of the poem.

With regard to relating to PBL, a nice introductory task could be minimalistic. For example, Embedding three very different poems into a Formative and asking the learners in groups or individually to come up with a). what problems are being faced within the poem (after hyperlinking information on the poet, time of writing and place) and b). ways in which the problem could have been avoided/resolved. The next level from this could then be creating a PBL project on something like ‘How can people effectively convey their emotions in the real world today through poetry?’ or ‘Using poetry, how can the problems we face in modern-society be resolved?’. This could then lead to an in-depth analysis of all types of poetry, the real-world problems humans face nowadays as well as how to use the plentiful poetic devices well.

What do you think?

3 Likes

I really like this idea. I have been looking for a way to enhance my use of formative in the classroom. I like the ideas that you are doing with building the scaffolding of the poetic interpretation. Thank you for sharing all this with me. I have been using TPCASTT as a way to build them up. I am going to use some of this for the discussions on larger ideas about the world.

We do a problem-solving project at the end of the year that this would be perfect for.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi @allenp

Please see the below Clone Code and link to an example of what I was discussing earlier. It is not perfect by any means but it worked well when introducing the new learners to the kind of detail (and vocab) that they needed to know.

Grade 7 Poetry Practise
Clone Code: JXTUWM
or: https://goformative.com/clone/JXTUWM

Let me know what you think.

3 Likes

Hi @allenp! Welcome! Formative is a great way to…

It is very user friendly for both the teacher and the student! Here is a Formative that I created for “The Tell-Tale Heart” by Edgar Allan Poe based off of a hyperdoc that I made last year. https://goformative.com/clone/HDHMME I love that you can embed videos and websites directly into your Formatives! With the way that Formative displays the responses, it makes for super easy grading! I, too, teach ELA and while taking a class over the summer I came across a website called Commonlit.org. It could easily help you continue to integrate technology into the classroom. Have a great day!

3 Likes

I can’t think of any other resource that is as valuable as formative. It id indeed like you said: “It is very user friendly for both the teacher and the student!”

4 Likes

Thanks Alexander! We appreciate it :slight_smile:

Hello Formative Community,

Jackie here. I’m new to the community but definitely not a novice to using GoFormative. I’m currently a long term sub for reading intervention and I use this wonderful platform each morning for my do now (journals) and weekly comprehension assessments. I am really looking forward in learning some new ways to incorporate GoFormative in other ways… like collaborative work in particular.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Newcomer Welcome (For Those Who Joined Between 11/15-11/20)

Hey Jackie!

Welcome to our community :slight_smile: We are so happy that you’ve joined us! One tool that I really love for collaboration is Trello. Have you ever heard of it? It let’s multiple people add ideas to different boards a the same time and see the updates in real-time. I think it compliments Formative nicely as a way for students to get warmed up before taking a formative! It’d be great to hear what you think of it!

1 Like