New way to teach grammar?

Hello Community!

Does anyone have a way to teach grammar (nouns, verbs, etc.) without simple practice drills? I currently use Formative as a digital worksheet (super helpful with grading and feedback!!!) in this regard, but I was wondering if someone had found a more exciting way to teach this topic. If so, I would love to hear it! Thanks in advance!

6 Likes

Hello. I try to teach it with their writing and not in isolation. Here is something to reference from a site that I found helpful. I bet you could build a few formatives from some of the exercises they give! :slight_smile:

Grammar Idea

7 Likes

Boom! @Lisa_Scumpieru this is perfect!!! Thank you! Right now, I have been dividing my class to spend half the time on grammar and the other half on writing or reading short stories with the purpose of writing about them! These ideas are great! Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

This is a really awesome resource Lisa. I love how it emphasizes the importances of integrating what they are reading into learning grammar. I love this:

5 Likes

@Lisa_Scumpieru Thank you so much for sharing “The Write Way to Teach Grammar” presentation! There are so many useful exercises in there! I took your suggestion of building Formatives based on some of their ideas… I plan on making more, but this is my first one: https://goformative.com/clone/KATAEJ

Let me know what you think!

4 Likes

It looks awesome! When I saw that, I knew it might be something that could work for you. So glad to see that it did! Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I used Jeff Anderson’s ideas (https://www.writeguy.net/) when I taught ELA. He uses the idea that students need to see models of correct grammar not correcting incorrect grammar. I did this almost daily in my classes and students’ writing improved exponentially. It went hand-in-hand with writing workshop. Basically, they look at a model sentence on the board, “notice” patterns in it and discuss them. They then imitate the pattern in their own writing. It was an amazing way to teach grammar, punctuation, etc. I know my explanation isn’t doing it justice!

5 Likes

This is fantastic! Thank you. @Lisa_Scumpieru!

3 Likes

EdPuzzle for instruction, GoFormative for assessment. Or, embed videos into the Formative to have them “learn/revisit” the content…then assess beneath.

5 Likes

So, I love this. Will you need to grade each item for each student because it is so individualized?

1 Like

Hi @tbland

I am pretty fond if Jon Corippos EduProtokols.

Cheers,
Gabor

1 Like

Hi @tbland

I forgot to show you how I implemented the idea into formative. This way, it’s super easy to check-out each others work and give Feedback! Sorry, it’s in german, but you’ll get the idea:

Wortlehre (8pArts)
https://goformative.com/clone/HNDUXW

For the first picture here is some inspiration.

All the best,
Gabor

2 Likes

This is SUCH an awesome way to teach grammar/sentence structure. We gave you a shoutout on Twitter! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Hi there,

Teaching greammar is always a burden for most teachers. The main issue is that we teach grammar and students keep forgetting the rules. I would recommend that you practise word order exercises with your class not necessarliy as a lesson , but they can be used as warm ups or time fillers.

Regards,

Aziz

1 Like

I teach French, so I’m in the same boat but in a slightly different way. I also love using inductive grammar lessons where you show them examples of sentences/pieces that focus on the topic that you want them to master and then ask them to come up with the rule. I’m considering having them create formative activities somehow next year to reinforce concepts in this way. Has anyone had experience asking their students to create Formatives?

2 Likes

I have always wanted to find different ways to build on the grammar skills my students have and this is a great resource. Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes