New Question Type?

Just a thought. Would it be possible to add a “Fill in the chart” question? I added a picture to give an idea. image

9 Likes

If you take this same picture and choose the “Enhance PDF/Doc/Image” question type, you can add a question in each box. I do it all the time in order to group questions. Here’s a recent example:

3 Likes

I’ve seen the “enhance a pic” suggested a couple of times (and the show your work), but they don’t really get at how graphic organizers/charts work. I, too, would like to see a question like Maureen suggests. It’s really more powerful for kids to have that visual of words in the correct placement. Show your work can sort of do this, but it’s a bit clumsy for the students and teachers alike.

3 Likes

I did this in my most recent quiz. But, it restricted me to telling them where to find the zeros instead of them filling the chart out on their own.

1 Like

I would really like to see this kind of question. Currently I use paint or Google slides to make an image and import it. When looking at science data, you have to see the arrangement in rows and columns. Enhancing a PDF would be way more confusing for them.

1 Like

I would love this kind of feature as well. I default to Desmos Activities when trying to create something like this. Since there’s already a relationship between Formative and Desmos, it’d be great to see more of this type of feature. I currently hop around between different sites, licenses, and platforms for various needs. I’d love for Goformative to be my one stop shop.

1 Like

I use the show your work feature and I insert an image of the chart and the students can fill it in

3 Likes

I’ve done this too, but it can’t be auto-graded. It would be great if this was somehow integrated so that the entire table could be auto-graded as one question.

3 Likes

Agree! The Show Your Work is always a workaround, but it’s a lot to grade when you consider around or over 100 students on your roster! Having the option for students to easily show work with their answers is one of the top reasons I’ve chosen formative over other sites, but the autoscoring of something like this would be really useful.

1 Like

You don’t have to put anything in the question box. You can leave it blank and just have the answers in. This is how most of my Formatives are because my students get the questions on a worksheet.

Hey everyone! :wave: I think this would be super useful!! I’ve added votes on behalf of us who said they would want this feature on our feedback page!

I was just going to ask for this!!!

1 Like

I have used the table as you have but it turns 1 table into 9 questions and quickly becomes overwhelming to students to see so many questions on the assignment. I would LOVE the ability for a table to be completed as ONE question.

1 Like

Hello! I would love to see a more versatile way of students manipulating boxes, for example, creating a flow chart or dichotomous key. I would also like to see more symbol options. I use formative a lot and really like the many options it offers, but have thought of these two as ways to continue to fine tune it.

Thanks!