Made my first formative

math

I just made my first formative over rate of change and initial value for functions. Feel free to check it out at https://goformative.com/clone/LWQTQX.

I’m an ELA teacher, so I don’t remember all of that from school, but I like how you have question variety and have input graphics. I this a basic review for them? I ask because if it is a reteach or early in the learning stages, some directions or examples might be beneficial. I do tend to randomize answers just in case students like to “get help” from students sitting next to them (if you know what I mean). Nice job. Feels good to have created one, doesn’t it. It will feel that way each time and you will grow to love it more and more!

Nice work, Emily! It’s great that you are utilizing the auto-scoring feature :slight_smile: At first, when I read the graph about the number of page read over days, I didn’t think to compare the y values to find the rate. Instead I was thinking, “Wow, she read 450 pages in 1 day”?

I might suggest re-labeling the y-axis, “page # that she has read to” or something along those lines. Then again, this might just be me!

Looks good Emily. This would be great for a Learning Check or an Exit ticket. I, too, teach Algebra 1. I like to embed videos (from YouTube or even my EDpuzzle account.) Sometimes there are self-checking questions in my EDpuzzle videos so, hopefully, students will understand mistakes before they do the Formative. I like leading the Formative with 1-2 multiple choice problems (like you did) so students can see right away that they are on the right path and to show proper ‘formatting’ of answers for future problems. I then and follow up with the Short Answer for 4-5 problems, with lots of ‘bubbles’ to guide students through the first problem, and less bubbles as they move through the Formative. Slope and Rate of Change is the 11th Mastery Target in my semester 1. Below you will see the five mini-formative I use in my lesson.

Sometimes I use the same video and sometimes the video is specific to the type of problem. I like to add whiteboards so I can color code the steps/parts of the problem. I usually end my formatives with a open-ended (non self-grading) question. In 11.1 below it’s a short reflection question to help students identify their mistakes as well as help them realize that they aren’t expected to be perfect all the time. You can also see my scaffolding for 11.1 for the first problem, which guides students through finding the slope from two points on a graph. There are three bubbles… one for the rise, one for the run, and one for the final slope. In 11.3, you will see the whitboard, but also Show Your Work problem. Each Short Answer has a SYW problem before it so students can work the problem ON the formative and I can see their work, especially if they get the SA question wrong. I can also give specific feedback about their error. (Check your Xs, rise OVER run, etc).

Here are copies you can use. I have a feeling we might be exchanging clone codes a lot. :slight_smile:
11.2 (from 2 pts on a graph) https://goformative.com/clone/UZPDRE
11.3 (from a chart) https://goformative.com/clone/JMJTMJ

Thank you so much. What a great idea to embed the video in the formative. Some of our resource teachers aren’t very comfortable with math and this would be so helpful when they are trying to help students. I’m going to try this. I love Kuta also and use it quite a bit.