Level 2 Certification - Question

What are the best ways to use Formative in the secondary-level mathematics classroom?

1 Like

I usually end up with the students who have been struggling with math since the 3rd grade. Most students have failed math at least two years prior to being enrolled in my class. Formative has allowed me to differentiate learning so I can meet each student where s/he is. I take the learning targets required by my department and I break them down into mini-concepts where each mini-concept focuses on a particular type of error commonly seen in that learning target. Mini-concepts build in complexity until students finally reach the grade-level/content-level expectation for that learning target. Some concepts only have two mini-concepts while others might have seven. For an individual Gofo assignment, I try to build the concept as well, starting with easier/more guided questions (MC, short answer) and build into harder, Show Your Work problems. Students are allowed to make corrections after submitting the assignment. Once a student has mastered each mini-concept with at least 70%, I know they are ready to officially test on that concept.

I use Formative for exit slips and this year, I started having students do their Do Now and take notes as well. I have found it so much easier to look at their work here versus Google slides.

1 Like