Learning "stations" formative

Hey Community!! I teach middle school ESL, and my colleagues and I were looking for a way to create learning “stations” within our formatives. This is what we came up with, so I wanted to share it with you all and get some feedback. I am going to have the students complete the formative in 5 different “stations”:

-Read It!
-Explore It!
-Watch It!
-Research It!
-Assess It!

These stations are on the computer instead of around the classroom. The activities are progressive, and students have to be sure to read…they can’t just bounce around from station to station, as there are prerequisites to certain stations. Depending on the day, and the class, we might complete the first station: Read It!, stop there, close the formative, and come back to it the next day. I think there are many different ways you could incorporate learning “stations” into your formatives.

I am also considering ways I can have the students work on it in groups. Any ideas would be appreciated!! Also, any feedback is welcome :slight_smile:

Here is the formative we created:

Seasons
Clone Code: WHDAWQ
https://goformative.com/clone/WHDAWQ

12 Likes

I really like this idea and it makes me think about how this would look and work.

The only thing I have a question about is how do you plan on making sure they finish the prerequisite before moving on?

It was making me think because I know on Canvas it has mastery paths. It would most easily be used if used with their quiz system but it also allows for assignments to be included in mastery paths allowing GoFormative to be an assignment.

Ultimately I would LOVE to see a mastery path feature on @goformativeadmin but, for now that can be a work around if someone uses Canvas!

4 Likes

I always used learning centers for French, and I love this idea using all Formative. Maybe you can create a Google Doc with specific groups and attach it to formative.

2 Likes

Great question @Smkendal! It’s all about the total amount of points they have per “station”, and the fact that I can monitor them live, and give them little reminders if necessary. I totally failed to mention all of that. There is a lot of front loading that comes along with our “stations”. I usually walk the students through the formative on the first day I introduce it to go over each section, and explain my expectations. You can really set up your “stations” any way you want :slight_smile: Does this help?

@faiza.berradagouzi…that would be a great idea! Would we connect it to the formative via a document we save from Google Docs, then upload as an upload and transform? I would love to see you make this come to life…or even just replicate this idea on my end :slight_smile: Can you share more of the steps you would take to create this learning center formative? I am all ears!

1 Like

I really like the idea of stations.

I made titles in a publishing program, used a snippit, and inserted the titles into the formative. I think that I will use parts of your formative with my classes.

You know what we say in education “Treasure or Trash” Here is the link to the titles inside: [https://goformative.com/clone/XECZPE]

Great Formative!

2 Likes

@Pebble_Johnson…thank you so much for this! I love those titles! They really pop and catch my eye much better than the text alone! I appreciate you updating this and sending it my way :smile:

2 Likes

I like this! It’s kind of like a HyperDoc but contained within Formative. Do you use Google Classroom? A HyperDoc would be a great way to separate the stations, especially if you were interested in creating more than one Formative (i.e. breaking it into multiple parts). I use HyperDocs all the time to increase engagement and organize all of the websites and tools that I want students to use for each unit. :slight_smile: Great work!

1 Like

I love the idea of stations/group work and how to do it in Formative. I ran across this webinar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F4MhAQzneM by Formative Nicole, Business Development Intern/Former Vice Principal/Spanish Teacher and Ashly Winkle, Formative Certified Educator. About 12 minute in, they discuss a formative that uses separate group work. I will be trying this myself very soon. It is worth checking out!

2 Likes

These stations are the perfect example to differentiate instruction and make students extremely motivated

1 Like

I know I’m a little late on this discussion, and I’m sure you found a better way to do the stations, but here’s what I would do in my classroom based on what I’ve read recently in Formative chats.

I would create an initial Formative that would have an intro and a PDF with hyperlinks to the five stations, with each station being a separate Formative. The initial Formative could also serve to monitor each student’s progress though the stations. If I wanted students to work on the stations in a specific order, I would take advantage of Thinfi to password protect the next Formative. The password can be released in a comment in the final problem on the station.

2 Likes

I love this idea. I am going to share it with my teachers.

1 Like

How does this work? Please explain.

2 Likes

Here’s how I do station rotations including Formative as one of my stations: I create a Google Doc with 3 links, one per station. The Google Doc goes onto Power School Learning (or Google Classroom, or whichever platform you use to share with your students). I also print the same Google Doc and cut up the 3 “stations” directions, + stick each one on each station with scotch tape.
Students follow the directions on the desks and on their computers. The Formative is just one station’s activity.
Here is one Formative I created on the present progressive in Italian. I wonder if you can also use it in French. Good luck! :):hugs:
DLPNOM
or
link
https://goformative.com/clone/DLPNOM

P.S. I probably did not answer your question at all, but I had to share. Scusami!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I haven’t used it yet myself, but I found inspiration from @Dawn_Frier1’s post Make Math Fun using Formative. I think the basic idea is that you copy the link to the page/Formative/Google Form you want kids to access and you paste it into https://thinfi.com/ along with a password of your choice. It then creates a new link to your specified page, but the students need the password to get access to that page.

2 Likes