Inferencing Skills in ELA

ela

I am finding that students have difficulty with making inferences-an area highly tested in Texas. I know that for some it is a matter of maturity. For others, it is a failure to read closely. I have used the names of the professional sports team to help with this. Additionally, I use photographs as well.

I am looking for other ideas that can help build on the basic, more visual things I am doing. I would like to be able to scaffold the skills. So let the ideas flow freely- I know you will have some great ideas, formatives, and suggestions for me.

@ela_educators

That is a challenge for my adult students, too. I have used commercials as well as music in the past, which has been pretty helpful and FUN.

What grade level are you? I have some materials for 6/7/8 on inferencing based on the STAAR test. You can DM me here or on twitter @mrserinjewell

Inferencing is such a hard concept, esp. how STAAR tests it.

How about having them takes selfies and you posting it on formative. Student infer what the students is feeling based on the selfie.

I teach 9th, so any materials would be very helpful. sshires@scuc.txed.net

Let me dig around in my drive–we worked specifically on it last year at my campus to hit those TEKS. Inferencing is sooooo hard!