In your opinion, what are the characteristics of effective feedback?

multi-disciplinary

In celebration of Formative Feedback Week, our Effective Feedback Team (@kallgood , @msashlylcot @michael.lutz , @Andrew_MacLean ) would love to hear what you believe are the characteristics of effective feedback! Reply below and let’s discuss!

Listening carefully and asking questions, because most of the time, when students tell us what they have tried, they come up with the “mistake” and are proud to have found out the solution themselves.

When I give written feedback, I first briefly write what I like and what was good, and then what the students could do even better (I don’t write: “this is wrong”, but “try to do the next time this or this …”)

Observing, not interpreting: “You’re nervous” is pure interpretation, better: “Give your hands something to do, e.g. show something with them or hold cards, so that they don’t tremble”.

Just shared on Twitter but also wanted to post here. I created a graphic on Piktochart a few months ago at a workshop, after learning more about what effective feedback should look like. Check it out at this link: https://create.piktochart.com/output/25453226-feedback

Use the acronym PAST to help you remember:
Positive
Action-oriented
Specific & Timely
Towards the Future

Prompt and individualized. Suggestions and reteaching opportunities need to be in student appropriate terms. Comments should be encouraging and thought provoking - anything to encourage the student to further work on the topic and future topics. :slight_smile:

This is something that I always strived to do when giving feedback. I found that by giving students the opportunity to examine their learning process and discover their own mistakes, they were more likely to follow through with not only correcting it in that one instance, but in future instances as well.

I love this infographic and how you breakdown the term “Towards the Future”. I believe that the same words “Use past actions. Deliver in the present. Influence the future.” can be communicated to students as a way of making the most of the feedback that they are given. Do you mind if I share your infographic on social media?

I love how you bring up the need to individualize feedback. How do you do this?

LOVE this acronym and will definitely be using it in my practice moving forward :slight_smile:

And one more thing: Less is more - who can remember a load of feedback with ten or more sentences/statements? One feedback per sentence, not mixing.

I don’t hear this too often but I think it’s a great point. Even in the adult world, it’s important to make sure we are concise when giving feedback to colleagues.

On a related note, I’ve also experimented with giving a portion of my feedback and observing what the recipient does with it before giving more. Each portion logically leads to the next. I’d be interested to hear if anyone else has done this as well!

Formative Feedback Week! (Jan. 15th-Jan. 19th)

I almost completely agree with this but it depends on the type of question being asked, I think. With heavily restricted class time and a magnitude of content to learn/analyse, learners need short and specific feedback, certainly. For English comprehensions, language and poetry spheres, certainly also. However, with essay question responses, particularly with word counts exceeding 200-500 words, more rigorous feedback would be required so the learners know where they could have improved (e.g. style, content and register). In a situation like an essay, it would be difficult to direct a learner to improvement using a one-liner. For the majority of questions though, you and I are in agreement, @michael.lutz!

Instant! In the 21st century I think quick is one of the most important if not the most important characteristic of feedback.

For individualizing, my classroom has become very student-centered…not a lot of “me” at the front of the room. When my students come in daily, they look right to the board for their class period to see the agenda for their course and find out what they need…white boards? markers? graph paper? laptops? headphones? notes sheet from the front table?logging in to …? etc. I am free to move around the room using my iPad to put notes and examples on the whiteboard when need be, or with my laptop to view progress online (from goformative, Edulastic, IXL, CK-12, DeltaMath, etc). When I taught Foundations of Math (our Keystone remediation course) last year, there was no possible way to teach that as an “everybody is doing this lesson today” course. They (27 of them) were all prepping for different weak areas to retake the state exam. That was probably one of the best things to happen to me in my career was to have had that challenge because now it is perfectly normal for me to work each unit as individualized as possible. In Algebra 2 and PreCalc it is a little different because they DO all need to reach a certain threshold to move to the next course in sequence. But I can adjust to their preferences of type of practice (online vs paper/pencil, etc) while trying to get them all there. :slight_smile:

For me, feedback is more than to say “well done” or something like that. Sure, not only Hattie showed, that Feedback ist a powerful tool to improve students work. Feedback should be instantly given and “face to face” is more powerful than written on a paper/goformative… So why not include a button, to give the students Feedback in a video/ audio file???
For this example, i used google classroom, forallrubrics, camtasia

Cheers, Flo

Wow! I am seriously in awe! It’s amazing how you took the experience of helping students prepare for a state exam and transformed your teaching! It’s so awesome how you are finding ways to personalize learning and providing meaningful feedback based on the real-time insights you are getting. Bravo!

Effective feedback should be timely and personalized. It should also be specific enough to provide a clear pathway for success.

to start always with saying what the student done good then to give point to improve.

Great point! I definitely agree that it’s often effective to lead with positive feedback :slight_smile: I see you are new here! Welcome!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Different Kinds of Badges & When They Are Awarded

In my opinion, feedback should be immediate.
This way, students can be assured that you know, one way or the other, how they are progressing in your studies.
Also, this can help you as you learn which students are getting “it” and which are not.
It can show you where you need to concentrate your work.
I love GoFormative. I use it EVERY DAY!

I think effective feedback is something that is able to be given back to the student almost immediately. In addition, the type of feedback need is something that will help the student build on what they already know and understand why they made the mistake and help clear up confusion.

I think it helps listening if they are verballizing their answer or discription.

Also, when grading work, the next day I like to review it (especially if it’s a question that most of the class misses) and then ask the class (if it’s multiple choice) why they think a student may have chosen a wrong answer. This usually helps other students in the class receive an explanation from their peer. I also find this helps students who chose that answer feel more comfortable speaking up because it doesn’t actually call them out as choosing that wron answer

I love using the video called Austin’s Butterfly to start the conversation on feedback. It is relatable to every grade level. The discussion afterwards is particularly eye opening, especially when working with middle school and high school students. It tends to be an a-ha moment that feedback is not a personal attack to pull a person down, but rather a way to build somebody up.