In class practice - world language classrooms

I have seen many great ideas for using go-formative in WL classroom for assessment - perhaps as a quiz or test. However, I’d like to use it for when we are virtual and during class for a way to ensure engagement and practice by all students and a way to share all of their answers for further discussion, etc. Maybe this is how people already use it, but I am pretty new to the scene. Thanks, in advance, for any advice or help with this.

1 Like

I teach Spanish and I had never used GoFormative until this school year. I absolutely love it! If you want to use just one Formative for all the activities for that day, it is really easy to do by adding content or a PDF into the activity and using that to create sections. For example, you could have their warm-up, then create a new section with a video or a reading. Then have a section with a speaking prompt or matching. You can also have questions where students can draw on pictures you upload. This was great when my students were learning about the body and common ailments last semester to check their comprehension.

The other thing I love is that students can add comments to their questions and you can too. This is great if a student needs clarification on something but they don’t feel confident enough to ask with the whole class listening.

5 Likes

I am so incredibly thankful for your response and ideas - I think this is exactly what I was wondering about! I’m nervous, but now that I know it can and will work, I am going to jump in and try it this way. Thank you very much for taking the time to share.

April

The best part about GoFormative is that you can make changes and it quickly syncs up on the students’ end. So if you need to change something, it is very easy to tweak assignments that are not working.

I use GoFormative for just about every aspect of class that I isn’t our regular class conversation.

I have used it for guided notes. I uploaded a note sheet and then added audio hints for students to follow with - I have also added my own screencasts (or imported YouTube videos from Sr. Jordan and WhyNotSpanish).

I like to use it for my #authres exercises. I can include the image / article (and a link) plus YouTube videos. It is great that it allows me to mix the two modes together too.

I also use it for my warm-ups. Each unit starts out with just one question. They respond (and often, I hide their names) and I show their responses. We correct the responses on the screen - tomorrow, they are writing ‘I spy’ statements to describe something in the picture. Then they will be grouped (in Breakout rooms) and have to share (verbally) their pre-written clues. The group mates will have to try to guess the described object. When everyone returns to the main session - the follow up question (on the Formative) - they have to report out the small group experience. Wednesday, I will add the new warm up question at the top.
Some advantages - I do not screen share as much and this helps for students with only one device. Students that arrive late or were absent can still try to get the practice in. I can watch in real time their work.

I use GoFormative for my quizzes too. Later this week, I will be giving a vocabulary assessment. It is not a can do task - it is a knowledge task. I like though that I can use recordings - but during live class, I create questions and then I ask the questions via ZOOM (I have Randomize Order selected) - so students are getting listening practice (and it helps with the integrity issue).

I hope that this helps! This is a resource that has been a game changer for me.

These are great ideas! I’m having trouble picturing how you set this up in an organized manner. Are all your activities for the day in just one formative?