In a flipped classroom...how do you adjust to the pace of the learner, when they aren't successful in meeting mastery expectations?

39%20AM

Good Saturday to all! We continue today to build on the slow chat by @chase.kirkpatrick and @David on the impact of flipping your class. Yesterday we chatted about how to gauge the mastering content in your class, but what happens when you have a student who is struggling? How do you adjust the pace of the learner, when they aren’t successful in meeting mastery expectations?

What considerations would you make in your lesson planning to help these student, while continuing to support those students who have completed the content mastery of a subject? Would you consider traditional options or consider implementing another flipped idea to help them scaffold their learning?

I know it is the weekend, so if you have a chance, we’d love to hear from you. Safe and enjoyable weekend to all.

@informed_members
@Certified_Educators

Chat Opportunities!

If a student isn’t meeting mastery expectations in my classroom it’s because they are missing foundational skills. Unfortunately, 2/3 of my students fall into this category, so I plan ahead of time that there will be students who need to go back to previous years’ standards… and learn/strengthen things they should know how to do before attempting my content. I give a NCQ (Note Card Quiz) prior when I’ve taught a new concept. It contains four questions: two on the front and two on the back. (I have students label their cards the same way so that I can grade them quickly since I’m always looking in the same spot each time.) Each question is targeting a specific skill. My Formatives are set up to build from foundational to test-level problems. The NCQ is graded and if the problem is worked perfectly, I draw a huge :heavy_check_mark: over that problem. Otherwise, I highlight errors. I then sort the cards based on checks and errors. I conference with students 1 on 1 or in a small group, going over and reteaching based on the errors. Since my Formatives, are building, those with checkmarks are allowed to ‘skip’ that specific assignment… kind of like ‘testing out’ of a skill, so they can work on problems closer to the DOK of what is expected on the the test.

My curriculum runs like a slushy or a snow cone… parts of it are solid and parts are fluid. I teach in a particular order and there are ‘hard’ deadlines to take a test. However, students are able to keep practicing and retest as they are ready. In that way, each student has their own ‘pace’ for learning. Students can retest anytime prior to the week before final exams.

I think demonstrating mastery looks different for different learners. For instance using a choice board can empower students to show their awesome sauce they way they learn and express themselves, not the way they are told to express themselves.
I have a lot of students who struggle so the trick is figuring out how they can get to “x” marks the spot. For special ed students and ELL students I incorporate images, music and interviews.
We have a lot of absenteeism, so I try to “micro chunk” learning experiences into 50 minutes chunks. I also create a lot of instructional videos so students can review them over and over or so they can do them from home when they are absent or need quite space to learn something. I would love to get noise cancelling headphones. I have tables with 4 students so someone at the table is always becoming a master teacher and acts as liaison translator who speaks kid language to help students understand concepts.
I am always looking for new traditional and technology ideas for students to learn and show their learning.

That is the perfect description! I was looking for something that was bouncy or fluid. I let students retry and retest until they feel good about where they are. Then sometimes we have conversations "So are you good with a “c’ or you want to shoot for something higher?”

I’ve very up-front with students from day one about what it takes to pass my class. We use weighted grades, so it’s hard for students to understand how many ‘points’ it takes to pass. However, once it’s all weighted out, they need a 75% for their semester grade, before they take the final exam, in order for me to guarantee that they pass the class and earn their credit… no matter what score they get on their final exam. I keep pushing and directing students until they get to that 75% mark. After that mark, the conversation changes to ‘you know, you’re only 5% away from a B…’ Reaching 75% is the hard part for my students, as most of them are not ready for my class when they come to me. So, if they can get there, it doesn’t take much to encourage them to keep going.