Improvement ideas for Formative - wish list

As @michael.lutz mentioned, Partial Match auto-grading is already available under all Formative premium plans! If you don’t have premium, you can check it out here!

Thanks for the feedback! Every piece helps us prioritize things! I think that students being able to respond to feedback would be awesome as well.

Here is a sample of a formative in which the Show your work feature works great with short texts: Clone Code: OOVJHP. However when I get to longer text, the font becomes too small to see, so I have to break it up into multiple Show your Work questions. I created a sample of what I have been doing to make the font larger to read on longer passages: Clone Code: PCNDUC. I make the font larger either by enlarging the snip I take from the passage, or by retyping the passage in Word and making the font size larger there.

The Show Your Work makes the font too small on larger passages. I would love to keep the font size standard and the passage together in one question vs. breaking it up. I think it would also help my students to see the entire passage when they answer questions vs having to click the boxes to see the passage or having the passage multiple times both as a text then as a Show Your Work.

I hope that makes sense! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for the additional details and examples! That definitely makes sense and we can definitely consider providing a feature that accommodates for longer reading passages.

The reason we made it so that students need to click into the canvas as opposed to just having it directly on the formative is that it caused issues with scrolling and interfered with the options available on the canvas. That being said, if we provide an option to accommodate for a larger text then your students would no longer have to visit multiple questions to annotate on the text!

A couple of things I’ve thought about as I continue to use (and love!) Formative—

• A “select all” button when grading–clicking each little circle can be so hearbreaking when you accidentally miss one and mess the whole thing up! :sob:
  • A “help” or flag button for students to click when they need help (a couple of my students have created their own by just typing question marks). Classkick does this in a really creative way (I’ve been down the edtech rabbit hole a couple times this week)–asking for help allows other students to give feedback and help their peers.
  • A pop-up or notification that a question has a new comment. Maybe the dot at the top can flash? Or be highlighed until they click on the comment?
  • I kinda wish the colors I use in my settings were replicated in their circles. My district has a common color coding system for achievment levels, so my students were really nervous about getting something green at first because that indicates a “basic” level to them.
  • I’d like to add my vote to supporting turning some question grades invisibile while students are working, the annotate text idea, and seeing number of questions attempted.

I continue to love working with this, and I’ve had several students say the same thing this week. Now that they’ve gotten the hang of it, they are really responding to the instant feedback. They especially like the emojis–I often use them to give a hint if they’ve been having trouble with a question.

I could see how having a “select all” button would be helpful in certain cases. When you say that if you miss one it (it messes the whole thing up), what do you mean? :slight_smile:

This is a great idea. Another related one that we are considering is giving students the ability to reply to feedback too!

Currently, the comment within the notification bar does remain highlighted until the student clicks on it. It’d be great to hear how we can further improve upon this!

This is another great idea!

Can you clarify who requested this? Feel free to highlight what they wrote (to quote them in a reply)!

I would like to be able to select multiple students and mass grade. Options that allow me to select specific students or whole class would increase efficiency in grading.

Multi-select scoring and feedback is a premium teacher feature! I could definitely see how having a “select-all” option would be a useful addition to it! If you have any other ideas of how we can enhance it, let us know!

I could see how having a “select all” button would be helpful in certain cases. When you say that if you miss one it (it messes the whole thing up), what do you mean? :slight_smile:

Let’s say I’ve selected 11 responses to score and I’m trying to select a twelfth. If I miss and click outside the circle, it unselects those 11 and selects just the 12th one.

Currently, the comment within the notification bar does remain highlighted until the student clicks on it. It’d be great to hear how we can further improve upon this!

I’m oblivious, apparently—my kids showed me this today!

Can you clarify who requested this? Feel free to highlight what they wrote (to quote them in a reply)!

Veronica_Bass said something about this in the The things you learn the hard way discussion back in March–she suggested being able to turn on instant score reporting by type of question. There were also a few suggestions about limiting the number of tries on MC questions, which would be helpful as well.

Oh, I see! It’s meant to do that so you can quickly de-select things that you didn’t mean to, but I can see how that could be annoying if you miss the circle by just a little bit. We can definitely consider an alternative de-select option.

No worries, I expect it can be difficult to spot since you aren’t always seeing what the student side looks like!!

Ah gotcha! Thanks for sharing your support of these features ideas!

I don’t think I had a chance to try this out. Is it too late?

I would appreciate an alternative, too. It is, as you say, annoying when you are batch grading and miss the circle to go back and re-select all that you’ve already “seen”. Perhaps a double click to deselect all as opposed to a single click?

Yes, I just sent you a follow-up message about this :slight_smile:

That sounds like a good alternative! We can definitely consider it :slight_smile:

Being able to schedule a formative is now available as a premium feature!

I’ve printed many formatives as I live in a very poor, rural district and many families have no internet access. I’m glad I can print the formatives but the questions print out so large that a lot of paper is wasted.

Sorry to hear that. Are you using the premium printing feature to do so or are you printing directly from your browser by selecting “File” and “Print…”?

If you are doing the former, it would be great if you could provide the clone link for your formative(s) where this is happening and we’ll be sure to follow up via private messaging!

I agree. I’ve done a few things to help: (1) I make the WS first and upload it to GoFo… and place questions on top of the upload, (2) print to PDF and upload to Google Classroom. If students have Chromebooks, students have access to assignments and attachments for 72 hours after viewing it at school, and (3) print ‘2 pages per sheet’ (front and back) to reduce paper usage.

Are you using the Formative premium printing feature? As I mentioned to @kcusano, it would be great if you could provide the clone link for your formative(s) where this is happening and we’ll be sure to follow up via private messaging :slight_smile: