Improvement ideas for Formative - wish list

Students can filter by Class. Then they can sort by Title (ABC), Date assigned or Date due (I think). Personally, I like to help them by placing a ##.# a the start of each assignment so they are in number order when they sort by title.

1 Like

Yes, yes yes, YES!! (Only sad I could place but ONE heart!)

1. This used to be a problem in the Short Answer but has since been fixed. Fingers crossed this can be fixed for the Numeric response as well. I’ve started anticipating these spaces and adding those answer choices into my key before kids even start. Now, if they have a correct answer, with a spaced response, I just copy that response and add it to my key.

2. The angle symbol is used SO often. For now, I type a forward slash and underline it.

3. Yes!! Sometimes that message is ‘Please do this problem!’ Other times, I like to give a hint as to how to get started, but I can only do that if their answer is ‘blank’ (clicked in the box, but no response recorded)

4. While we may not have auto-grading for Show Your Work problems, a graphing utility like that in IXL would be awesome since it auto grades and would save a TON of time on grading plotting points and linear equations.

2 Likes

These improvement ideas are incredibly amazing. How about adding Immersive Reader to Formative?

1 Like

It would be nice to have better explanations or changed titles for how you are as a teacher are deciding the return and return scores option. As someone new, it was difficult to decide which is which. It would also be nice to add a student within an already closed or shared assignment so that you are not having to duplicate the assignment again and have multiples of the same assignment.

Since distant learning will become a real thing in the future, I woikd like to see a way students could collaborate through GoFormative

1 Like

Hi Jessica,
You may have already seen this post, but in case you have not : Embedding a document to use as a discussion board- it works and is really cool :)

1 Like

@Jessica_Smart that was a great Q. I am going to use a live doc as a Q&A for each assignment. This way students can communicate and help each other too.

I would love to see a format bar for the Text Feature in Show Your Work. This would enable students to change the font, color, size, etc. In addition I would like Ss to be able to change the transparency of the Scribble Feature or add different pen tips (highlighter as one). Kami is an app that allows students to annotate. I think incorporating some of these tools will greatly improve Goformative. I have added a video that shows this as well.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uq-gnhnAIZmHjx4HloeP0Ezs0_XjHaG5/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DHdDfoWfqRYxQtP_MysAJuS_QOazZJN3/view

2 Likes

I agree that being able to annotate more easily and with more options would be a greatly added benefit!

I think Formative needs to feature all of its accessibilty options. Especially for those learning at home. Having a read aloud option for quesiotns and answers, or immersive reader. Beign able to customise the background color, which may be available in premium, would help.

You can do this. :slight_smile: Just temporarily open the assignment, then ‘select’ ONLY the student you want to assign it to. It will be closed for the other students. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There used to be more options for teachers to edit text colors, fonts, etc in the ‘old’ version of formative. I’ve been hoping they can bring it back for the current version.

1 Like

I’d love for the students to have an option to add math symbols such as ∠, ≅, ~, ≠, ±, ∈, and other Greek symbols often used in math as variables but not through LaTex if at all possible.
Maybe add a math keypad?
It is harder for students if they see all the code in their response.

1 Like

It would great if on Graphing questions, you could add an option to add additional responses that can be auto-graded… much like you added the show work feature to each question type… either add all question types to a Graphing type problem, or you could an sub parts to a question.
Often we need students to graph something and grade the graph but also will need them to give us key information unique to that graph. Right now, if we add additional questions and then randomize the assessment questions, they will all be mixed up.
For example… I ask a student to graph a function, plot the zeros and label them. I do not want to have to check each graph if the student got the correct zeros. I would like a sub question to have them list the zeros and it then auto grades.
If a student misses this problem, I do want to still see their graph to see what they did wrong.

1 Like

I’d love to have simple audio tools like go back/ahead 5 seconds in audio responses, and also to clip audio segments into smaller chunks like designating a start/stop point.

I know GoFormative works well with Google Drive but in our college we use Microsoft and One Drive. I would love to use Snip and Sketch and paste into the whiteboard or text box but I have to go the long way round: copy or download a picture, save to my Google drive and then insert. It would be so much quicker with Microsoft functionality. I have documents on One Drive I could use but have to download then upload to Google Drive- my personal area. Also a request to my employer to pay for the Premium account to be reinstated!

I’d love to have royalty free images, audio and videos to be able to add directly when creating Formatives. Having to find my own images and then download and upload is a pain! It would also be great if you could search youtube directly with in without having to leave to find the video you want to use.

1 Like

When I type my questions, I add a line under the problem for “Symbols you may need…” I’ll add the angle symbol, plus/minus sign, ‘element of’ symbol, etc.
Students can then copy & paste any symbol they need.
It has worked well!
If using the numeric keyboard… look up the proper LaTex code for symbols & teach it to them!

1 Like

PLEASE integrate with Schoology!!! I loved when you integrated with Google Classroom and we have used GC for 4 years. Now we have to use Schoology!

1 Like

@kim.bennett Here is some information on the current status of our Schoology integration: https://help.goformative.com/en/articles/3691084-partner-schools-integration-with-blackbaud-canvas-powerschool-schoology-and-other-learning-systems-using-lti