Improvement ideas for Formative - wish list

This is definitely something on our radar! We made Tracker data exportable a while back as a way to help teachers more easily enter that data into different systems but automatic grade passback would certainly be a gamechanger for those using Google Classroom, Clever and Learning Management Systems.

Would anyone like to join me on a call sometime and discuss the design for this, what you’d like to see and how you envision it functioning with Formative? The same offer applies to those with our partner schools using LTI integrations such as Canvas, etc.

I don’t know how this would work, but I know EdPuzzle auto grades and populates scores in my Google Classroom IF I ‘post in Google Classroom’ from EdPuzzle. Maybe there’s someone there who can assist you in the coding.

2 Likes

I would like to see this as Formative syncing directly with Google Classroom. It could also be a switch where if off, wont post, but if on it will auto post.

4 Likes

Is it possible to set a max time per question (like in Kahoot). If no, is that a feature that may be availbale in near future?

1 Like

This is a big need. Thanks for suggesting.

1 Like

Some things that I would like to see are:

1. Timed formatives to give practice standardized tests. I know we can open and close them at certain times, but if there is a way to have them get 25 minutes from the time they open their formative.
  2. A spot to put a general feedback on questions. For example, the answer is A because… You might have picked B if you didn’t… etc. or a sample for “show your work” questions that need to be manually graded. Maybe even some video capability to explain how to do problems would be nice.
  3. The ability to see the answers we typed in to compare to students’ answers (especially for checking math that might be typed in differently from the answers, but still are correct.)
5 Likes

Great ideas!

1. Setting a time limit would be nice for Exit Tickets, learning checks, bell ringers too.
  2. I’ve wanted to give general feedback for awhile now. If I write a multiple choice problem, my answers are based on specific errors, so having auto-feedback generated for specific answers would be perfect! The same would be true for specific short answer responses as well.
  3. I usually make myself a key by using the student view, however, I wish that part would stay ‘frozen’ at the top of the page while I scroll down to grade other answers.
3 Likes

So I am very slowly putting together ideas on rubrics. I have used Schoology in the past and their rubric concept worked quite well, and Google is working on a beta as well for Google Classroom.

Here is my first concept. Similar to tagging standards, I envision a user created database of reusable rubrics with the ability to create one on the fly from a simple drop down menu.

I’ll work on some concept art in the next few days on what the teacher side grading would look like.

This is an idea of what I am thinking for the grading side. You could add your own criteria or add a standard for a criteria. The + and - for cells would be visible on mouse over.

4 Likes

This looks amazing!!!

I love this!! I would totally use this. I think the same type of ‘selection’ process could be applied to feedback as well. I can see me using a rubric with common feedback comments and selecting all the ones that apply. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder if it would be possible to open a formative to individual students once a formative is closed for the class.

There are times I want to give extended time to some students, but can’t without giveing the whole class.
Students absent during test day would be another example of opening a test for individual or few students.

1 Like

You can!! I do this all the time. Click on “adjust settings” under your class list on the Assign tab. Then click on the toggle button and you will see a list of students. Then just choose the ones you want to allow to work on the assignment.

1 Like

Thnak you! I didn’t realize that! Awesome!!!

We are noticing that when teachers are collaborating or cloning Formatives that the standards are disappearing. I figure that this is so the user can apply their own standards that are different. However within our school the standards are the same. It would be nice to have the option to keep the standards on the Formative so that sharing/collaboration between a few teachers in the same grade level/content level will be less time consuming or to erase the objectives if you are sharing with teachers in other states or in different grade levels.

1 Like

Hi @cshepherd! If you have the same standards added to your account, the standards should remain visible when you clone a formative. Also, if a formative you clone contains standards that you haven’t added to your account yet, you’ll now see a message asking if you’d like to add them to your account. I hope this makes everything a little smoother!

1 Like

What about when two teachers are sharing the same formative? I can see the standards on my side, the other teacher cannot see them. If the other teacher adds the standards then they disappear for me.

Hi @cshepherd, sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this! I just did some testing with a colleague, and when we collaborate on a formative, if I tag standards then my colleague can see them if she has the same standards added to her account. If she doesn’t have those standards added, she receives the pop-up message that I mentioned earlier. I’m curious as to why this isn’t happening for you - could you send the URL of a formative where this is happening to us through our Messenger? (Go to the question mark icon at the top right of the page, then click “Start a conversation with us.”) Thank you!

1 Like

We tested it and it does work now! Thank you for this!!

2 Likes

So glad to hear that, @cshepherd! :grinning:

It would be great if there was another question type - submit a file: student would apload a file according to the written criteria.

1 Like