Improvement ideas for Formative - wish list

to help my students with this issue I do not grade them right away until they all submit. Then I go over the students work and grade them. so that they are not discouraged.

1 Like

Blockquote I agree! That works in multiple subjects

1 Like

I have seen that there is the option to randomize multiple-choice questions. Is this option already available for the ‘Short Answer’ questions? And does the option exist to get the questions one-by-one, instead of all at once. This will greatly improve the already amazing program. I teach German in the Netherlands and to test the knowledge of my students I need the ‘short answer’ questions to see if the spelling is correct. I already love it, that it is possible for the proramm to check for capital letters. Thank you!

I would like the ability to copy an entire question from one formative to another - sort of the the clone a formative feature. OR the ability to merge formatives.

I often create quizzes or reviews for students in smaller chunks then test them using some questions from the multiple review formatives. It would be nice to merge all the quetions form the review formatives into the test formative and then delete the questions, I don’t want OR clone/copy questions from various formatives to a new one.

Thanks for all you do to make this program so useful for both teachers and students!

6 Likes

I agree. Our current unit is difficult enough… I keep reminding students that they may be mathematically correct, but the format may be wrong…or doesn’t match my answer key exactly. The 'flag; feature could be used to signal the teacher to check for ‘formatting issues’ as well.

1 Like

I thing the solution to this is to make the new feature to “select” the students who responded while viewing in the “singular question” mode go a bit further to “select all students with the identical answer” IF that could be created, I would find everyone who typed B+A and then give them all the credit at once. My key says A+B, so they already got the point. However, those who said B/A do not get selected, so they don’t get the point.

2 Likes

This would be so helpful for data collection! For students who are failing, have progress monitoring, etc. It would help see progress made too :smiley:

1 Like

I’m not sure if its been posed as a question type before but what about some kind of hot button question. Like I upload an image and ask them to select “this part” if they clicked in the area selected it would be right, otherwise wrong. While I like the option to make them label the whole thing, it would be a time save if they could just click the part I asked for. Maybe someone else has a suggestion for this?

1 Like

That sounds great! I can see it being used to identify parts of speech, match vocabulary within a diagram or math equation, etc. It would parallel the ‘circle the right answer’ types of questions we can do in Show Your Work, but could be auto-graded. I’m sure it would be difficult to ‘outline’ the area that would count as ‘correct’, but perhaps an invisible ‘grid’ could overlay an image and teachers could select all boxes that would count as ‘correct’. A variety of grid sizes would also be helpful, maybe something like a 4x4, a 10x10, or a 20x20 options so that teachers could choose which grid works best for their particular ‘correct’ section.

2 Likes

The best part of it!

2 Likes

Two things that would make a big difference to my uptake of Formative:

1. The ability to put sentence frames/starters into short answer questions and explains to support EAL students (all my students).

2. The ability to have the setup the graph to begin with preentered content by pasting an existing Desmos graph URL as you can in Desmos’ own activity builder. That would enable that feature to be extremely powerful.

3 Likes

I love this idea!! I would find it very helpful in my Algebra 1 classes.

Yes, yes and meny more yes!

1 Like

I couldn’t find if anyone already suggested adding comments in Multiple Choise questions by every answer choise like Khan Academy has. That is: the student chooses incorrect answer and the comment explains why it is incorrect, e.g. “This is the radius, not the diameter”.

2 Likes

Is there any possibility of getting Formative to send grades back to Google Classroom. I looked through the forum and did not see anything yet about this, but perhaps not using the correct search terms.

3 Likes

This would be AMAZING!! I recently went back to using some EdPuzzle videos and found that when I ‘post’ those videos to GC, the scores are placed in my GC grade book. I would LOVE for GoFo to do the same! It would save SOOOO much time.

1 Like

This is definitely something on our radar! We made Tracker data exportable a while back as a way to help teachers more easily enter that data into different systems but automatic grade passback would certainly be a gamechanger for those using Google Classroom, Clever and Learning Management Systems.

Would anyone like to join me on a call sometime and discuss the design for this, what you’d like to see and how you envision it functioning with Formative? The same offer applies to those with our partner schools using LTI integrations such as Canvas, etc.

I don’t know how this would work, but I know EdPuzzle auto grades and populates scores in my Google Classroom IF I ‘post in Google Classroom’ from EdPuzzle. Maybe there’s someone there who can assist you in the coding.

1 Like

I would like to see this as Formative syncing directly with Google Classroom. It could also be a switch where if off, wont post, but if on it will auto post.

2 Likes

Is it possible to set a max time per question (like in Kahoot). If no, is that a feature that may be availbale in near future?