How does "Flipping" make you reflect on your practices or rethink how you reach your students?

multi-disciplinary

43%20AM

Happy Sunday! We end our slow chat after a great week started by @chase.kirkpatrick and @David. Today, we would like to ask how does “Flipping” make you reflect on your practices or rethink how to reach your students?

I strive to reflect on my practices right after delivering either a great flipped lesson or one that simply “bombed”. I tend to use a myriad of feedback proceses such as using Mentimeter or Pollmaster for a quick “love it or dislike it poll”. In my Wizer.me activities, I tend to just add a feedback poll right on the worksheet. Formatives, I tend to give students the ability to comment after each activity and this allows me to make adjustments to the activities. Getting reflections also allows me to gauge student content mastery as well.

I know many of you do this reflection each and every time you deliver a “flipped” lesson. So to end this great week, please offer up your thoughts and thank you to those who gave feedback all week or will provide your ideas later down the road.

For those visiting Texas, don’t hesitate to give a “howdy”!. I can assure you some great barbeque, cold refreshments and a swimming pool that is often open all year long. Come wear your cowboy boots (nothing like Texas Two-Step) or if your tired from your travels just sit a spell. Thank you to @chase.kirkpatrick and @David for allowing me to participate in this weeks slow chat.

Vaya Con Dios

@Certified_Educators
@informed_members

Chat Opportunities!

One thing that has resulted from flipping my classroom, is that if there are mistakes in my Formative, they get caught (and fixed) immediately in the classroom. Previously, if this happened, I would get slew of emails or a bunch of kids complaining as soon as they walked in the door… and unfortunately, after they couldn’t figure out why their answer was being marked wrong. When students do the problems in class, if there’s a mistake I can own up to it immediately and thank the student for helping me find a mistake. It shows that I’m human too. If I can make mistakes, then it’s okay for students to make mistakes as well.

Also, seeing kids work the problems… and hear their questions as they work… has been very beneficial.I can edit the assignments for the next year to make them even better… and sometimes I edit the Formative right away for the next class.

The best thing about flipping is that since students practice in class, I can adjust the lesson for the next day without slowing down the class or having to adjust ‘on the fly’ after going over homework.

I completely agree with the mistake aspect. I think it is so beneficial for students to see us “fail” as well so they can relate it to their lives and education. We can use the opportunity to show them the importance of reviewing your work or that we can just fix a mistake and move on.

I agree about everything you’ve said here. It does allow you to see where they are without using homework. Many kids will gladly do the flipped learning because there is a window and they know that they can choose to focus on it during their own pace.

I think flipping your classroom gives you the opportunity as the teacher to take a step back to truly reflect. When you aren’t “center stage,” you have the chance to see how students are interacting, participating, and learning to step more into a coach or supportive role to continue learning!

Great point, Chase. Although I never flipped my classroom, I can see how it helps create more time for teacher and student reflection. This week’s chat has taught me so much about flipping!

A typical flipped classroom day allows “time”. I typically meet/greet my students at the door using the “Capturing Kids Heart” model. I modified the door entry by asking each student as they arrive a question related to the “Flipped” assignment, the night before. I also am checking to see if they have their “Cornell” note-taker completed. If the student isn’t able to answer the question, they go back to the end of the line (more or less a toll entryway). Please note, I modify my questions based on the learners abilities, but its a great way to check student assignment completion and a great way to engage the students.

We then transition with “Good Things” and I allow the students to interact with me on what questions they had on the previous nights “Flipped” video segment. Students who struggled on the assignment can either elect to email me or “Flipgrid” me feedback. Students who failed to complete the video, go to another part of the room to complete the work and then rejoin, after completion (this is typically about 10 percent of the class at the beginning and then reduced down to about 1-2 percent at the end of the school year)… The entire time, I am engaging with the students, this is where I am reflecting and rethinking how the students are at in mastering the content. For those gifted students or the “I wanna great grade” group, I typically embed other activities in the choice board or gamfication activity that will keep them actively engaged. I loved @tricia.mintner feedback on how she gauges her students and especially her Formative and already exploring how I can plug this into our students learning opportunities.

Transitioning later in the week, students who still struggle in content mastery, receive more attention, while those students who have met the content mastery expectations work on assigned Project Based Learning opportunities that focus throughout the six week grading period or update their online learning portfolios. By the end of the week, I reflected on my practices and rethink how best to progress to the next learning challenge.

Ultimately, the best aspect of a “Flipped” learning class is that it has allowed student greater confidence in succeeding on difficult or challenging assignments and gave them greater freedom to contribute in meaningful ways in class.

It certainly provides a new avenue. Unfortunately our school is in a low home-WiFi area, meaning few students would put in the work outside the building. I would love to go full flipped classroom but it would never work.

I like to assign a guided lesson for homework as a preview to new material, this allows the class to have a conversation with appropriate vocabulary. I am able to dig a little deeper during class since I don’t have to teach the basics. (This is for college prep level high school students).