How do you use Formative to inform your teaching of concepts (e.g. based on student responses to a formative - how do you change your teaching?)

We are up to day 4 of our back to school slow chat about how we use Formative at the beginning of a new school year. It has been a great conversation so far and I’m looking forward to hearing what people have to say about this next question.

@chase.kirkpatrick @albertbryant @Certified_Educators @informed_members

3 Likes

I will assign a variety of question such as multiple choice and show your work. I will look at the data in real time and make instructional decisions based on student results. I will tailor my lesson to concentrate on certain concepts the data shows they need help with and skim or pas by concepts that they are understanding. I will also make decisions on creating groups to review concepts, doing a entire class discussion, or make individual learning plans. I love showing student attempts in learning and using their work to promote discussion and instruction. Using Formative has been a game changer in my classroom. I feel I can be a more effective teacher, have a more student centered-class, and provide quick and meaningful formative assessment that promotes the learning process for all students. Formative for the win!

5 Likes

This sounds awesome @d.vendramin!
I agree that Formative has changed the way that I teach.

When you say you demonstrate students’ attempts at learning - do you use samples from Formative to do this?

I’d love to know more about how you develop individual learning plans based on information you gather from Formative. Would you care to share a little more about how you do this? Do you utilise formative when producing these individual learning plans?

4 Likes

Yep. Love the show your work feature. Take names of and compare samples of student attempts and we look at thought process and celebrate the attempt in learning and try to promote a growth mindset. If data shows that only one student still struggling with a concept will sit down beside them help individually, suggested other materials to review such as videos or notes or interactive sites, or try to suggest some pre-knowledge they should look at to help them understand project (I try to include extra resources in my Formatives to really make it a one stop shop with a variety of learning material to support concept as well - here’s an example of a Formative I used in one of my math classes today - https://goformative.com/clone/RDJPXT). They can re take formative to show me they understand concept as they work through concept. Using formative crucial as it allows me to work with students more, have all students participate, provide timely feedback, create a positive learning and risk taking environment.

3 Likes

I agree! One of my favorite parts of using formative is the instant feedback that I receive as a teacher and can make decisions immediately/share with my students areas of growth.

5 Likes

Often as students are working on the GoFormative, I will see them struggle in an area and we will stop during the assessment and talk about it. No more grading papers a few days or weeks later to find out a concept is being missed or misunderstood. Formative assessment effectively drives one’s teaching to the level of facilitator and guide on the students’ learning journey.

4 Likes

Because I tie every question into the state standards, I can easily see which standards need more instruction and which ones they already know.

4 Likes

That is great to tie formative questions into state standards - that is really helpful for informing which standards need more attention and also for giving feedback to parents and students about their progress.

2 Likes

Yes, I love the real-time feedback that GoFormative allows. It is a far more effective method for giving students feedback at the time they are facing difficulty (rather than a few weeks later if having mark papers instead).

That is helpful to hear about how you use GoFormative to help inform the pace of your lessons. Do you find that this is helping your students take more ownership of their learning so that you can facilitate rather than drive the learning in the classroom?

3 Likes

I love everything that you have mentioned in this post!! (thank you for sharing the example Formative as well!)

So great to hear how you are using Formative to foster a growth mindset in your students. I love the idea of students also being able to re-take a formative to help show themselves (and you) that they have mastered a concept).

How great that Formative frees you up to actually spend more time supporting students!

You mentioned that you put extra resources in your Formatives - do you have any strategies that you use to help students know what part of the Formative they should be working on? (i.e. how do you help students to be self-directed in their learning while you are working with other students?).

2 Likes

Using content to promote discussion is how I engage students in their learning and help them own the “answer”.

These are all so important for a healthy learning environment.

Anything that helps save time :slight_smile:

I need to get better and better at this.

This is very helpful.

I want my students to be learning in this patch of land.

2 Likes

I love all these thoughts and reflections @clsnyder-renfro - how great is it that we can collaborate and get ideas from each other about how best to be using Formative to maximise the ways that we can enable and support our students’ learning!

3 Likes

like like like :smile:

1 Like

we can use it to remind their previous knowledge