How do you prepare your students to answer questions collaboratively vs independently?

@informed_members @Certified_Educators

Good Morning and welcome to Question 6 of our slow chat about creating strong questions.

If you missed our earlier questions, you can check them out here:

Balancing Unit Content with Critical Content Questions and DOK Questions in Assessments
Do you discuss higher order thinking questions with students so that they can develop their own?
How do you determine which level of DOK your assessment or student project fits?
Most Effective Questions and What Makes Them Effective
Increasing Difficult of Questions Within a Unit and Throughout the Year

@senger, @Susan_Shires and I would love to hear your thoughts about how you prepare your students to answer questions (especially higher level questions) with their classmates and on their own in both formative and summative activities. Please share your classroom context too (grade and subject).

42%20PM

Chat Opportunities!
How do you reflect on and evaluate the questions you ask? How often?

When my students answers questions independently, they are usually using their notebooks, or a platform, such as Formative, to do so. When students are answering questions collaboratively, I usually provide them the pieces of the questions to lean on and when they have discussed with their group, each one is able to be heard, yet collectively answering the question.

We use a lot of Kagan Strategies in my classroom. My students work together often in our PBL classroom so collaboration is a normal practice.