How do you gauge the mastering of content being learned in your flipped classes?

multi-disciplinary

36%20AM

Greetings everyone from the very hot “Lone Star” state! I am picking up from @chase.kirkpatrick and @David with our week long slow chat about how flipped learning works for everyone! I am just catching up with the slow chat comments after being on the road for two weeks, but am excited to learn from you all.

Today, we would like to canvas ideas about how do you go about gauging content mastery in your flipped learning classroom? Do you typically use a rubric or check sheet? Do you allow choice boards to influence the levels of content mastery? I had a chance last night to review some of the awesome feedback, thank you so much for sharing. Would you be so kind as to share examples of how this influences success in your flipped class.

I have also provided a link to a Flipgrid if you would rather offer thoughts in Flipgrid. The password is Formative18.Gauging Content Mastery

As always thank you for sharing your thoughts!

@informed_members
@Certified_Educators

Chat Opportunities!

Last year I used a paper copy. This year, I have “Formatized” the pacing chart. I have the original pacing chart set up in one Formative inked to the different Formatives for each strand (column) in the chart. Each individual Formative is then linked to the individual, building Formatives.

(Join my faux class to experience the linking in action: MLRMCN)

It took me a LOT of time to flip through students’ paper charts to determine which assignments needed to be graded. My hope is that with a digital pacing chart, students can add, ‘working’, a question about a problem or a request for a peer tutor, or ‘done’ in a Short Answer box, so I can see at a glance who is working on which assignment as well as having the links right there to the Formatives that need to be graded.

How do you provide a more student-centered environment when your curriculum is 'locked'?

The tools that I use provide data that I can use to view student progress. This is available in the Pro version of Newsela. I also have the students do self-reflection videos periodically using Flipgrid to let me know where they believe they are in their learning journey. Weekly dialogue journals allow me to have conversations with my students about their academic and social progress. Since I am using a blended model I have multiple ways of monitoring the students’ progress.

Thanks Tricia for contributing. I am so excited that you shared this with the entire community. I can see the great detail placed in this Formative. How receptive initially were students with adjusting to the pacing chart?

Students were pretty receptive to the paper chart. I will be using the digital chart this coming school year (in a little over a week! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). I have purposely scheduled time at the end of each 90-minute block for students to type in responses to the Formatives they worked on today, reflecting on questions they still have or requesting peer tutors if they weren’t able to complete the day’s assignments. The paper version will be solely for the student, and the digital version will help both of us. I’m hoping the digital version will help me better identify students who need more immediate intervention.

I have tried a number of ways to gauge mastery in the past which include checklists and rubrics. Every year I try to get better. This year I hope to include choice boards - for points or like Bingo (I think) I am still working the idea out. I am hoping to use Formative to more easily identify standard mastery. I use tests but I don’t like them. I teach family and consumer science, culinary, career and technology. I know everyone has to “pass the test” but I think about would I hire this kid and in that regard you gotta show what you know. I need them to do something and know something. Book smarts just won’t cut it.
@tricia.mintner I want to do this "The link also shows how I plan to track that mastery without losing my mind! " I don’t know if I read it right, but it sound like you might be playing “Who wants to be a Miliionaire” choice board for intervention! “My hope is that with a digital pacing chart, students can add, ‘working’, a question about a problem or a request for a peer tutor, or ‘done’” Or was that just me (LOL). Thank you so much for sharing your ideas and resources.
@loliveira Newsela is really great for learning and assessing. I have only had the free version for regular use, but I did get to play with a beta sample with the annotations and extra cool data.

During the year last year they added power words which is also great @clsnyder-renfro.

I’m not sure I quite follow you, now. LOL I guess, in a way, students ‘move up the board’ to become a ‘millionaire’ for each tested concept. Since the choice board is tiered, I can visually see kids ‘move up’ and when they get ‘stuck.’ I can then offer more activities or problems, peer tutors or a 1 on 1 conference when aren’t ‘moving up’ quickly (or at all). I usually start the lowest tier with something that most, if not, all students can master. It builds confidence and keeps kids moving up that ladder. Of course, if they don’t master it, I know that they needed that practice and can intervene with more help. What I didn’t mention was that I give NCQ (Note Card Quizzes) that have 4 quick response problems that are directly tied to the tiered concepts for the day. Students who show mastery on the NCQ can ‘skip’ a step (a formative assignment) and move of the ladder faster.

The digital format allows me to see how the class is progressing overall as students work on different formatives. It also allows students to type me a note/message in the Short Answer boxes on that digital chart. For example, a student can type ‘help me’ without their peers knowing about it… and I can approach the student and help them ‘save face.’ A student might type ‘Can I have a peer tutor for this?’ and I can give feedback ‘see Johnny’ because I can literally ‘see’ on Formative that Johnny did very well and understood what to do on that assignment. A student could type ‘that was easy’ or ‘done’ and I would know that it needs to be graded.

Side note: The Millionaire ladder would make a great graphic on which to build the formative questions, bottom to top. :slight_smile: Thanks for that idea!

@tricia.mintner I like the ladder of assessment - with harder questions as you go right? Maybe its a Bloom’s formative for easy breezy at the bottom and creating and analyzing at the top?
I was actually thinking about the lifeline component - it could be student directed scaffolding.
For instance - I want a life line to ask a friend for help with the answer, or give me a hint, or 50 50 shoot - what about call a parent? :):rofl: That would make some unexpected parent engagement and contact:)
What do you think?

I started thinking about life lines as I was typing my response. I think those would be great options. I love the Phone a Parent option. :heart: :phone: I think this would be great to use as a review for the test.

Really glad others educators use the idea of calling parents to help student engagement. I actually inform parents at the beginning of the year through a newsletter that their child may call them during school hours. I have to also remind my students that they have to ask first if using this option as cell phones are not allowed to be on during this time. It is very effective and typically, I will get another call later from parent inquiring how their child is doing in class (reversing the role of me having to call them). In many cases, the student actually is educating the parent (not saying that many don’t know the answer, but it does build confidence in the student when they know the parent has no clue, (oh common, I use to get the questions from my kids, “dad, you mean you don’t know something that I know” at the dinner table, great family discussion.). Thanks, Tricia for the answer and @clsnyder-renfro for the question.

Thank you, this is fabulous! :slight_smile: Do your students work mostly on their own all through the period, or how is your class time structured generally? Thanks! :blush:

I have a 90-minute block. The first 20 minutes or so is dedicated to the bell ringer (lead into lesson or review concepts) followed by a discovery activity & discussion or a direct instruction lesson. That is followed by a 5-minute learning check (which assesses what has been learned that day. I look for common errors that later link to specific Formatives). Students then spend 10-15 minutes on a self-directed task while I grade the LC (online math game, puzzle-type worksheet to review or practice today’s concept). I specifically design my LC to tell me where a student needs to start in a strand. For example, I just created a LC about writing systems of equations from a real-life word problem (mastery target 20 for me). The first thing I look for is vocabulary. If students are confusing operations because they don’t know the vocabulary, they work with me on 20.0 so I can fix vocabulary issues and help kids establish ‘connections’ between the words and the operations. The next thing I look for is did they flip-flop the coefficients, or group the correct coefficients but put it with the wrong ‘answer’. If so, they work on 20.1 which has several multi-select problems and they try to identify the two equations that match the situation. If they don’t have issues with either of these, or when they complete 20.0 and 20.1, they color in 20.1 on the chart and then they work on 20.3, which asks students to read the problem and the type the equation for a specific part of the problem. Students are grouped by the GoFo on which they are working. I start with a specific group of kids and help guide/reteach them. Then I move to the next group. The independent work (near group peers) lasts 25-30 minutes. I then end the class with a reflection question and homework assignments (if there are any).

When I taught 45-minute classes, the first 10-15 minutes was direct instruction and the rest of the class was independent work with a reflection. With the shorter periods, I would opt to do a math game or more fun activity about once a week or whenever I felt my kids needed a ‘break.’ I also would opt to do a Q&A session instead of direct instruction, where the students could ask me to work any problem for the class.