How do I not see old comments in Student view

Hello,
This is something new to me…when I go into student preview, I see old comments from previous classes. This has never happened before and I am curious as to figure out how to delete or hide them.

2 Likes

I had this same problem and same question when my school year started and I was told to make a copy of the assignment if I didn’t want to see old comments. This should be something that should clear when the old class gets archived but I guess Formative hasn’t worked that out yet. Good luck!

2 Likes

Okay, thanks @Gina_Thompson.
I really hate to have repeated formatives in my folders. This does seem like an issue that needs to get worked out though.

1 Like

Agreed! I wonder if duplicating the question, and deleting the old question will work? That way if you have links already in Google Classroom, etc, then the links don’t have to be updated but yet the question and answer key will remain the same.

Yes! I’ve been having this issue too. @tricia.mintner that’s a good idea to duplicate the question. Most times I don’t know when I’m going to see the comments until I’m in preview mode and presenting to a class. I never had this issue before this school year. Duplicating the question and deleting the old one sounds like a good workaround for this issue for now. I’ll have to try that.

1 Like

I never saw them until this year, too. I use them to copy and paste feedback for current year submissions. I use a personal account for presenting to the class. I made a ‘TEST’ class in Formative and then used a personal email to join that class. That way I can present a fresh assignment without answers (and now without comments). Then, when the next class starts, I can clear all responses/reset the assignment for that ‘student’ OR I can make a copy of the assignment and use it for the next class. The latter allows me to differentiate how I teach for each class.

I’ve been wondering about this too! This is only my second year using Formative, so I just assumed it has always been this way. Copying each question to make the old comments go away sounds like a lot of tedious extra work. I would really just like a way to turn them off for archived classes. I like reusing the old assignments because I like seeing the comparison of data from one year to the next in one quick view.