How did the first people arrive in the Americas?

https://goformative.com/clone/XSGGMY

One cool aspect of history is that we are presented with new pieces of evidence that may change or affect our perception of how events may have occurred. Recently, I found that archaeologists, anthropologists, and historians have been engaging in debate over how the ancestors of the Native Americans arrived in the Americas, which is a departure from the Bering Strait Theory. My plan, therefore, is to present various viewpoints, and embed a Formative closure activity, which is above. After becoming more familiar with various sides, students will draw the route they think these first Americans took and defend their reasoning.

I appreciate any feedback. Anyone have other good ideas for teaching this topic?

2 Likes

Great idea! I generally try to start a class with a study into the seven features of early civilization, and then get into Mesopotamia and Egypt after that. I also ask the students several questions in which they compare the ancient world to today. It is remarkable how much even the students see that, while things have changed, people are really similar!

2 Likes