How can we partner with students in creating success criteria and determining how they'll be evaluated?

multi-disciplinary

On Monday night, we had an awesome #formativechat about letting students drive formative assessment. For one of the questions, we asked everyone to share ideas for partnering with students in creating success criteria and heard some really creative ideas. We’d love to continue the conversation here!

Dj4jP3_X0AAP6zf

@informed_members @Certified_Educators

Allowing students to help create the rubrics or targets to look for will let them be more aware of what the end result will look like. Often as a teacher, I had to remind myself that not all students do the assignment like I would learn.

Use backwards design and make learning objectives clear from start. Create goals and plans on how objective will be met. Provide exemplars and create rubrics if possible. Be open minded / flexible. #formativechat

I think a rubric has to be set by the educator. We definitely know more in terms of what we want the students to learn as facilitators of learning That said, it may be something to consider having students evaluate their own work based on a set of criteria. For example, I need to be able to provide my students a clear set of instructions on what needs to be included on their lab report (abstract, data, calculations, graph, discussions, etc.), including things that they need to check before submission (units, significant figures, precision, accuracy, etc.). They could, on their own, evaluate their work. On my part, once I have their work graded based on the actual rubric set, if the student did not do well, there can be a discussion in terms of why they did not earn the grade they gave themselves during their self-evaluation. I have not done this but I am thinking of starting it in the Fall…I don’t know know if students will really make time to perform a self-evaluation but it can be a really good conversation starter and make the student really responsible for their learning. They need to realize in the end that I don’t make the grade, I just add the grade based on the work shown (or not shown, which is often the case).

This is a great realization. I like how you act on it by letting your students share input on what it could look like for different learning targets to be met!

@kherrera

I definitely agree that how you offer students the opportunity to share input on success criteria depends on the project/task itself. I really like the idea of letting students evaluate themselves separately so that get practice with reflecting on their own learning and are equipped to do so with you.

This (along with @d.vendramin 's backwards design suggestion) got me thinking that if you are planning on using a set of formatives for a given project/task, it might be beneficial to place a reflective question at the end of each one. You could have students self-evaluate on their way towards the learning product (after feedback is given) and when it comes time to reflect on learning with them, you can review responses, feedback, and reflections together. You could perhaps include an image of the rubric along with the reflection question so that the students have it for reference as they self-reflect and as you discuss learning with them. It’d be great to hear what you think!

Yes, this could be done only if it needs to look a particular way. I have had colleagues who are upset when their students do not mark the text correctly. We all learn differently and I think it’s okay. :slight_smile:

I like this idea of post-reflection, as well, since I am not sure how ideal it will be to post a rubric for students to use while writing a lab report, for example, since I don’t want the focus to be on the grade they will earn for each part but on the learning and improving upon their critical thinking skills. Now that I am thinking about this more and more, I can actually adopt this idea and include in a future version of our lab manual some post-reflection questions and convert them to an online form for easy review of responses that can later be used to assess the course.