How can we challenge our own assumptions to provide students more opportunity in choice and allow them to do things we have not thought of?

Here’s Q2 from this week’s #formativechat about divergent teaching (hosted by: Mandy Froehlich)! We’d love to continue the conversation here and invite you to share your thoughts!

Ds9y1DdWsAA1pXF

@informed_members @Certified_Educators

Once again, shout-out @rdene915 for organizing the chat with us each week! It’s been an amazing opportunity to connect with thought leaders in education!

I am very guilty of not offering many different ways to show what students learned, however, we openly discuss how the lesson is going to go and many times I make adjustments to it according to what my students tell me. For instance, while Station Rotation is a great tool, one of my classes told me that they were tired of rotating and we came up with “stationery station rotations” where we still had a timer, but students moved on to the next activity without physically moving from their desks. I don’t like it as well, but they do, so we are doing this, at least for now. I do ask students to come up with different ideas, and even if we cannot implement them immediately, I think about it and I come up with some other way of doing things, which we try out at a later date. I think that at least I am building relationships and I am sending a message that students’ ideas matter, that we are all in this together, building it as we go.
My problem is more in the testing, I do think that a choice board should be my next new thing I try out.
One thing at a time, as long was we keep on making things better…:slight_smile: Thanks for the opportunity to share. DJ

2 Likes

It’s great that you have an open dialogue with your students about how lessons are going and that you are making some meaningful changes based on their feedback. I like the idea of “stationary station rotations”…it seems like it might allow students to mentally transition to the next activity. Are the stations collaborative? If so, I would be interested in hearing more about how your students are collaborating while not physically moving towards their teammates.

Agreed! The fact that your students feel comfortable advocating for their needs is proof that you are already doing a great job! As @kbaker mentioned in her episode of “Feeling Formative”, relationship building is key to the rest of the classroom experience!

1 Like