Guarding against cheating?

What methods/measures has anyone taken for cheating? On our laptops, the F11 full screen option works, but that isn’t available on the chrome books my 8th graders have and they are mixed right in with my HS students. It isn’t a HUGE issue…almost all of the kids, especially now by second marking period, understand we are using them to gauge progress, not to record a grade. But there’s a handful that will tab to another site to look something up (like in my class of 31 Honors students) because they don’t like to be wrong. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Hi Maria :slight_smile: We use classroom management software (LanSchool) which allows us to view the student screens on our laptops, and the good old-fashioned stand at the back of the room so we can see the screens. Neither are perfect, but until other things are implemented :wink: they work well enough.

@kallgood and @mnunkester: Yesterday, I took part in a design meeting where we talked about how anti-cheating tools could be implemented. Please be patient a little bit longer, I’m sure great things will happen. :slight_smile:

I’m just about to watch it :smile:

@mnunkester I use Remote Desktop or stand behind my class and watch from there. If I use iPads, I tend to use apple classroom’s app (all of the iPads are on display on my iPad).

Another thing to do: Start with a more demanding question, e.g. something that takes longer to answer like an essay. Then have the multiple choice questions. In that way some students will write longer answers while others write shorter and they will not be at the same questions at the same time. You could even place fast workers next to student who feel less confident.

Or divide your class into 2 groups: one is doing the test the other half is doing another assignment. Then you flipp the tasks. Always person group 1 next to person group 2.

Hi @mnunkester The anti-cheating tool would be of considerable benefit so it’s got my vote! I use Formative for both formal and informal lesson tasks as the personalised feedback ability is quite simply invaluable and the fact that we can send discreet guidance/help to the less confident public speakers is also extremely empowering.

We used two means by which to bypass the potential cheating element, namely Apple Classroom and ‘restricted access’. I can see everything on each of the learners’ screens by using Apple Classroom and our IT Dept lock every other URL (excluding: https://goformative.com) so that security is absolute.

However, for non-Apple schools, it would be enormously helpful to have a ‘locking in’ option so that learners cannot utilise any other application unless we want them to (e.g. researching various answers themselves via Youtube, Google etc).

Yes! I was in on the design meeting as well. That is something that is being considered for possible future implementation (to some extent). In my building, we use a program called GoGuardian to also monitor student devices. It’s a Chromebook monitoring platform that allows the teacher to see every active screen in the classroom. It gives a teacher the ability to close a student’s tab, lock the screen, take screenshots (when needed). It’s pretty cool! And, of course, sitting in the back of the room is fun, too! I’ve gotten so used to doing that that I don’t know how I ever functioned otherwise. :slight_smile:

Hi:

That’s a tough one. For something like Formative, I usually walk the room constantly and often have an iPad or mobile device up showing me progress on formatives as I move around. I’ve found I do not like software like Remote Desktop, partly because I do not want to be at my machine. For things like cheating on Formatives if you use a lot of multiple choice Q’s that may be hard to gauge. If you have open-ended, cheating is a bit easier to mark. Hmm. Here’s an idea: create a duplicate of a formative and assign it to two different groups. Mix the questions up. It’d be easy to post in Google Classroom because you can set the link to different student groups.

Remote Desktop is a great sounding alternative - how was the setup on the student side?

@wilsonk Hi Kyle, in the school where I teach, students don’t have a one-1-one so far. We have a computer lab and Remote Desktop is installed by default.

In my school, we use Hapara Desktop to lockdown the browser during the tests and quizzes.

We use goguardian. Honestly once the students know you can see what they are doing they are so much more on task and focused. It can be hard when schools do not have software in place to assist in monitoring device usage in class!

@mnunkester

I am not sure if you’ve already considered this, but apparently with Chromebooks, you are able to disable a students’ ability to browse the web in addition to disabling external storage, screenshots, and their ability to print. Check out this article!

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/3273084?hl=en

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

@david Thank you for that! Soon, our students will get a Chromebook one-on-one. I really look forward to that. Therefore I saved your link for later.

Ich benutze auch remote desktop. Es gibt aber Möglichkeiten, die Kontrolle zu umgehen: Wenn SuS das Programm auch installiert haben und sie öffnen dies, sind sie unsichtbar…

@david My 8th graders have Chromebooks, but that is only 20 of my 160 students. My HS students all have various laptops. Thanks for the tip! :slight_smile:

Yes - Apple Classroom app is a game changer! Just signed all my students up for this service last week and it was incredible!

@jwabbe Great to hear!

Thank you! We have a very tight tech budget- we are looking at several programs before we launch Chromebooks next fall, free is always the better option here!

We use lockdown browser when doing a test, but I don’t know if you would want to implement that for things such as bellwork.