Group work and collaboration possibilities

I was wondering if there is a way for students to work on a project work virtually on Formative. I know that websites like Padlet can be embedded. Has anyone attempted anything like this?

5 Likes

Currently, we don’t have any specific features that allow students to work together on a formative. I’d love to hear what you’d ideally like to see!

Also, if there’s anyone else out there that’s wanting to see features that allow students to work together, please chime in with what you’d like to ideally see as well!

3 Likes

[quote=“david, post:2, topic:3803”]
if there’s anyone else out there that’s wanting to see features that allow students to work together
[/quote

This would be cool for me. Ideally, there would be an option such as “working by myself” - “working with a partner”. If the latter, it would ask who you are working with (select from the other stduents in the class) and the version of the formative would have two or more boxes for the questions answered by each of the participants.

11 Likes

Ah so if the student selected “working with a partner”, they’d still be submitting their own responses for each question? How would this improve what’s currently possible (having students work together but submit their responses on separate formatives)? For example, are you looking to give a “group score” on top of individual scores? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess what I would like to see is that students work together towards an answer or product. It is the idea that they can see what the other has already done or is doing. Then formative would note the names of both students that worked on the answer or product.

2 Likes

In this scenario, both stduents would be able to see what the other is doing, and have a conversation about their answers.

1 Like

Ah gotcha! Would you find it beneficial to allow your students to message each other?

I personally would not, unless it can be toggled on/off. I would worry about the students using a messaging feature as a distraction, at “best” spamming each other with useless commentary and at worst finding out that they sent something inappropriate/rude.

2 Likes

Ah okay, I thought you might be wanting these group work features because your students might be sitting apart.

Do you see a major benefit in students being able to see each other’s work on their own screens? Is this easier than having them look at each other’s screens?

Yes, there is. If they see both on their screens, the expectation is that they are working together on it, though each responsible for holding their own. If they just look at someone else’s screen then by definition it is meant as individual work.

1 Like

In my case since we are virtual, the students would be sitting apart. However they would be talking to each other in a virtual classroom, so it would be beneficial for them to see what the other is doing.

4 Likes

This is a great idea. I’d love to be able to create group work in this sense with my HS kids. Good idea Crystal!

2 Likes

David, has this changed since 2018? With a strong likelihood that students will be expected to stay 6 feet apart or work from home, it would be amazing if students were able to be assigned to a Formative and then work together with live responses and chart that the teacher could monitor and ask checking for understanding questions or give prompts to guide students.

3 Likes

I agree, I was just looking to see if there’s a way for students to collaborate on here

3 Likes

I am also wanting this option. I am posting here because I figured if the goformative team sees more people wanting students to be able to work together on their answers, they might implement it.

Being able to work on a common show your work option (assigning like 4 students to one show your work) so they can all draw and work on it at the same time would be AWESOME!

3 Likes

I would like to see students collaborate on a test.
Maybe a whiteboard that students could work on together virtually?

3 Likes

We are also very interested in allowing the students to be able to collaborate. If there was a way for them to be able to co-edit a formative and submit it as a group, that would be ideal. We do a lot of group work and find that students often learn very well from each other, but this current mode only allows for individualized assessment. Please consider adding this feature!

1 Like

I’m not sure if you are still monitoring this thread but we are now all sitting far apart. A collaborating feature would be great.

1 Like

I created “generic” students in my class to try this next week. Ex. Student login would be “Group1” with password “Group1”. They can login on multiple devices and then work on the show your work screen. If they refresh their page frequently, they can see the other updates from the other students,

I’m looking for the same thing. I’m doing a video jigsaw and am trying to figure out how to let students share what they watched with a visual option to support students that would rather type or draw pictures. A collaborative White Board would be amazing.