GoFormative... or GoSummative?

Hi everyone!
Especially with the option that I see that’s in Beta of setting a time limit for a formative, I’m curious if anyone has been using (or is planning on using) GoFormative as their go-to tool for giving summative assessments.

I teach middle school math, and have recently discovered that I can upload a pdf (of an old test/quiz) and just attach the questions to the specific spots on the pdf where the problem is. Has anyone used this feature? Pros/cons? Have you used anything else in place of it?

@caleb_goff My 7th-grade math PLC uses Formative for our summative assessments. Personally, I would rather retype the questions than upload a PDF. I sometimes have trouble getting the numbers for each question in the correct spot. Have you had a chance to use the math text?

With that being said, I have used the PDF upload and it works well. I just don’t care for how it looks. So…pros - quick and efficient/cons - appearance

I used it last year for summative assessments. I really liked being able to see the students logging in and tracking their progress.

I LOVE the PDF feature! It makes things so easy to grade! Here’s an example of a worksheet I created that incorporated a lot of math (I am a chemistry teacher). https://goformative.com/clone/3QWRK8?_rid=yc7zsm I found it so easy to assign and give feedback!

Yes, absolutely. I copy and paste test questions in a Formative test for end of chapter tests. I also use some of the test questions in each lesson I develop. Great feature. Formative is the only application I use with Google classroom. Oh yes, Quizlet for terminology.

I use it for testing. My main concern is that they can see the entire test at once (which is easier for working with others during a test).

Pros:
-Time Limit
-Start/Close Time
-Assign to certain students
-Shuffle questions
-Lock it after submission so they can’t see the questions
-Show your work options

Cons:
-No use of a “question bank” like on the Canvas Platform
-They can view all the questions at once
-No “testing mode” (hard to do when virtual learning)
-All questions are the same for all students. (On Canvas, there is a “formula question” where you can input several different options as a variable so it outputs different answers and the students all have different questions).

Overall…it is the only way I am testing for remote learning. THe pros for math outweigh the cons.

1 Like

I’m intrigued by using the platform for summative assessments. I wonder if it wouldn’t be possible to add section breaks (this would be helpful in aesthetics/formatting as well) that would allow only a section at a time to be displayed.

2 Likes

Our whole math department is using it this year. I used it last year for summative assessments. Students had to log into Meet then go to the assessment. I created all my tests in powerpoint (imports beautifully) and only put one or two questions per slide. This way they only saw a few questions at a time and was easier to see since our students use chromebooks with smaller screens.

2 Likes

We are just starting to use GoFormative for summative assessments. For test integrity, you have to shut down the kids ability to see feedback as they go. How do you show kids their scores once everyone has taken it? Is there a way to reopen a formative and show feedback and scores?

I’ve typically waited until all students have taken it, and once they want to see their scores, I change the return scores to “After student submits” in case there are any students that slipped through the cracks and never actually finished it.

I agree with others. We have used it for both Formative and Summative assessments. It has been very beneficial in lots of ways, but as others have stated, there are many things that must be different between the two. I feel that being able to see our students work, particularly given the remote situation of this school year, has great advantages over other programs such as Canvas or Google Forms.