Go formative and Chromebooks

Go formative has become the go-to tool for Math teachers in my school whose students have access to Ipads. Unfortunately, staff in the elementary grades whose students only have access to chrome books are reluctant to use them, expressing the following;

" We’ve played around with Formative on the Chromebooks and it feels limited since they can’t draw on the screen. Sixth graders using a mouse pad to draw can be disastrous!"

Can anyone help me help them get past this hurdle? If you use Chrome I would love to hear and share your experiences. You can list them by replying, emailing me myersl@lasd.k12.pa.us, or sharing a tweet @MrMyersMAMS.

Thank you and stay safe.

1 Like

My HS students use GoFormative, and yes there is a little difference between 6th and HS, but honestly not much. At least 6th graders are a little more moldable. Students are way more tech savvy then we think they are…if they take the time to watch the video.
Here’s the video I made for my students.

I am going to make an assignment at the beginning of the year for my students where they have to do several tech things without there being any math involved.

3 Likes

Video was great. I posted it on our school PD discussion board.

Lonnie

I am glad it was helpful.

Aside from the picture tip that @erin-rose.schneider, the students can also use whatever application they wish to “draw out” their answers, and follow a similar process of download and upload to formative. All of my students use chromebooks and use that whenever they feel that using the “limited” drawing tools on formative does not allow them to convey their ideas.

1 Like

My school opted for the Chromebook where students can ‘draw’ on the screen with a pencil!! It’s awesome. Its a Lenovo 300e Chromebook.

Since yours is not touch screen, I’ve been told that paper, but into quarters, is the perfect size to take a pic with the computer camera. My students have also uploaded pics from their phones into Formative.

3 Likes

I wish we had Lenovo 300e!!
Instead of taking a screen shot of the pic on the screen… just select the pencil icon on top right & crop the actual picture. It saves as cropped. Then add to Formative!

Go formative just needs a camera button. I’d be sold on it if it did. It’d almost be easier with what we have now to just have kids open a Google Doc use the insert image with camera feature there and then link the doc with their pictures.