Fostering a Growth Mindset through Feedback and Reflection

multi-disciplinary

On Monday night we had a great chat about Growth Mindset and really good ideas were shared. What are your thoughts? Please share your thoughts, strategies, best practices with us @informed_members @Certified_Educators Q1

Chat Opportunities!

Hey everyone, It was great to see so many awesome ideas shared on Monday night. Can’t wait to see what other great ideas are shared here!

A1: The first thing that comes up when I think of growth mindset and how to develop this with students is the word “relationship.” Relationships are key with students in understanding who they are in order to develop that safe environment is necessary for students to feel safe in taking a risk that might lead to failure. It might sound obvious, but relationships are truly at the heart of creating a healthy growth mindset environment.

Absolutely! If the students don’t have that connection, it is much more difficult to have them feel safe enough to take those necessary risks. If you haven’t read Culturuze by Jimmy Casas, he talks a lot about the importance of building those relationships first. It is a great read!

Totally agree, always try to focus on relationships and build those connections. I did not always focus on that first, and having done so over the past few years, it has made a tremendous difference. We can support them, share our experiences, and just keep learning and growing together

@Melissa_Asztalos Love the book Culturize! definitely recommend it too :slight_smile:

Definitely need to model positive relations and a growth mindset. We can say relationships are important but if we don’t keep investing in the students they will soon lose their trust in us. We also have to embrace a growth mindset in our own practice and take (calculated) risks in our class. Tough for students to grow if teachers are stuck in their ways. Need to practice what we preach.

Relationships are at the core, no doubt. Once you have that relationship you then have to also become real and acknowledge your own mistakes, model/think alound the thought process that helps you resolve your mistake or work through your own struggles and stumbles. Tell students when you are trying something new/risky and and share that even though you do not know what the end result will be you are committed to elarn from the experience. Allow re-dos and re-grades providing feedback along the way.

Yes Feedback is inextricably linked to students being able to grow and learn from mistakes. I am still trying to figure out the best ways to get in back to students in a more timely manner. Timely and actionable feedback seems to be the biggest key to student success for sure. I am a big fan of retakes after feedback and relearning!

Adding onto @mgarcia about keeping the feedback loop going, I think it’s really important to show students the growth they’ve made so that they can realize the benefit of dedication and hard work. I think it’s also important to help students make connections between some of the other things that are going on when they are developing abilities. I am reminded of this graphic from Sylvia Duckworth:

CJ9r5uxUYAA_sKy

If we can help students make connections between their experiences (beneath the surface) and their growth, we can help them better understand themselves as learners and take greater ownership of their learning!

This is a great visual that I have seen a lot, thanks for sharing it again @david

This is one of my favorite topics. I am sure it is important for all educators, but I KNOW it is critical in adult ed. I actually have it written in my policies and expectations section of my class intro/syllabus, that students MUST be willing to make mistakes. In order to truly encourage them to be willing to do that, however, I like to make mistakes WITH them. I like to model being willing to try new things (especially with tech) and be willing to accept failure at first, but never giving up. My students will not see me throw my hands in the air and give up.

Furthermore, it’s okay not be good at everything. Today, we did a fun Kahoot! about math brain teasers; math is NOT my strong area, but I still teach it. The Kahoot is tough for a non-math mind, but it was fun and because we were willing to make mistakes and learn instead of just winning a game, we all learned together as a team. And that is how I believe you should build a community and encourage students to make mistakes and take a few risks. :heart_eyes:

My suggestion is two fold. Have students complete a free online growth mindset course. This year all eighth grade students at my school will be using Khan AcademyLearnStorm. Students earn limited-edition digital badges to collect and display on their Khan Academy virtual profiles. You can Track progress as students master skills, develop growth mindsets, and build confidence. Contest for starts Sept 4.
Math Teachers should consider How to Learn Math: For Students. The previous 2 years my students completed this course.
How to Learn Math is a free self-paced class for learners of all levels of mathematics. It combines really important information on the brain and learning with new evidence on the best ways to approach and learn math effectively.

Part two. Change your words so you can change mindsets by:

Teaching students to change fixed mindset statements into growth mindset statements. “I can’t do it, it’s too hard” to “I don’t get it right now, but I will come to understand this”

Offering process praise instead of person praise “Tina is the smartest person in the class.” to
“Tina did well on the exam, You should ask her how she studied”

Modeling it in the classroom by putting yourself in new situations which are uncomfortable for you. The worse you are at it the better to demonstrate a growth mindset.

In the past I’ve
ridden a hoverboard around the classroom, played fortnite battle royal made guest appearances in student music videos, learned to program Sphero, played Geometry Dash and had my students teach me how to use apple products and software.

I love Learnstorm! I have just started using Formatives and Learnstorm lessons were my first. It was great to read and discuss the thoughts students had.

Here’s are the Formatives if anyone is interested: https://goformative.com/clone/UFKHET

Those are awesome–thanks for sharing them! I love Learnstorm!! My one complaint about Learnstorm is that they don’t have a place for kids to put their responses. I had pulled everything together into a Google Doc, but didn’t even think of doing a Formative for it.
I love how you organized them, and can’t wait to use them next year.