Forming Some Formative Assessment Ideas

Hi @Math_Educators @Flipped_Eds @Feedback_Eds putting on a webinar at 4 CST will post link here later. Be great if you could check it out thanks

Here’s some questions we’d love to hear your feedback on:

• What other math labs could you see Formative being useful for?
  • What other math features would you like to see available in Formative?
  • How would use the data provided by Formative in your teaching?
  • What other tools do you currently use with your students for formative assessment?

Dean

7 Likes

Hi Dean,

Thank you so much for posting this. I use formative in a very similar manner. It does lend itself well to 3 act math. I never thought of audio responses to the prediction piece. I usually just have them type it out so we can all see. Thanks for that new thought :slight_smile: I usually upload the 3 act videos into goformative as meredith suggested. Thanks again.

Donna

4 Likes

@d.vendramin Thanks for all of the tips. I don’t have the premium, but a workaround that I use is to convert my word or pdf documents into a jpeg through zamzar. Hopefully next year, my school will pay for the premium :slight_smile:

Have you had any issues with the hyperlink? When I have hyperlinked articles, the student have to copy and paste the url into their browser.
Thanks for the webinar. I really appreciated it.

4 Likes

Thanks @Rachel_Kerr Glad you found it useful. Cool work around. Premium feature just got better with the ability for teachers to insert audio recordings into a formative. I have not had problems have you highlighted and linked and/or put http:// in front of URL

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Anytime. Hope you found it useful.

1 Like

@d.vendramin Thanks for the response. I will have to try to hyperlink again. I figured it was something on my end. Thanks

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this Dean and thanks to David for pointing me to your webinar. I definitely agree with your description of Formative as a one-stop-shop or a Swiss army knife of some sort. It is definitely one of the reasons why I am very excited to learn as much of it as I can since I discovered it (and this community) in July. I am still fascinated by all the many options that one could do and embed or appsmash (a word that I also just learned recently). It gets a bit overwhelming so I intend to explore a few things at a time with my students.

I would really love to see an in-line equation editor. It is really the only thing that is lacking for me. I teach chemistry and it is definitely a limitation. There are some workarounds that I can think of (like uploading images) but for Formative to really be my one-sto-shop, chemistry educators will really need this option.

It will be great to be able to later on gather enough data to see any trend in students’ learning year by year (long term plan). But in the interim, the ability to be able to provide instant feedback, to determine any topic that needs to be discussed again, to see if there is any ownership or mastery are all aspects that I am very excited to explore with Formative data.

In my own lab and recitation classes, I have used Socrative, PollEverywhere, and TurningPoint, solely for increasing student engagement, not necessarily for anything that involves a grade (we are still very much paper-based on that regard).

2 Likes

You are very welcome!

Being able to write in-line super and subscript was actually a recent winner of our feature vote! Are there other symbols that you’d like to be able to write in-line?

Arrows please! (forward, reverse, equilibrium, resonance). Some Greek symbols (lambda, delta, nu, mu).

1 Like

I would love to see the integration of some form of a calculator within Formative. Maybe not as complex as something like Desmos, but in that vein. Data from Formatives given would definitely be used to reteach/review/enrich the learning that stems from the data received. This is at the heart of the Formative resource. Another tool that I have been using recently is AnswerGarden. Just a quick tool to get ideas from what students are thinking that creates a word cloud from responses collected.

1 Like

Hey Gregg, I see that you are new to our community! Welcome :slight_smile:

Currently, we have a Desmos-powered Graphing question type that allows students to make calculations along with plotting on graphs:

04%20PM

It’d be great to hear if this is what you are looking for or if you are looking for something else!

1 Like

Oh sick! I have been out of the Formative loop and when I first used a few years back, that wasn’t in there. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Definitely! I should note that it is premium (I usually note that but it slipped my mind for a moment).

1 Like

Ahhh…maybe that’s what I didn’t find it. Thanks for adding that detail.

1 Like