#FormativeSummit Challenge: Day 9, Sarah Thomas!

As a follow up to Sarah’s session, we’d love to hear about how you collaborate with other educators online. What are your favorite places and formats? What are you favorite topics to collaborate on? What benefits do you find?

Respond to the prompt below!

Shout-out to @lpereira for helping facilitate the discussion!

Notes:

If you haven’t signed up for #FormativeSummit yet, you may still do so here! We’ll make sure to send you any webinars you’ve missed (ex: Matt’s session). Just don’t wait too long! Registration is only open for the remainder of the event period (Oct. 19th-Nov. 5th) and just like a real conference, the webinars will disappear after that point as well!

If you haven’t joined our community yet, you can click on the Login with Formative Account option in the top right of the screen. If you don’t have a Formative account, it’ll prompt you to create one.

1 Like

So glad I became a member of Edumatch two years ago, have been able to connect with so many educators from around the world. Also within a book study group and being a member of ISTE and connecting on Twitter, great ways to build our PLN. Can share ideas using Voxer, or Slack, or in a Hangout

3 Likes

I love to connect with educators on twitter and I can never replace the power of a good conference to add professionals to my PLM. I just did the AMLE conference and the formative summit at the same time, a really powerful week of professional growth for me. Is the book study group organized by your school or district?

3 Likes

Glad to hear that you enjoy Edumatch! Someone else mentioned ISTE having a great online community as well! I’d love to hear your favorite activities within it :slight_smile:

I have not done a lot of collaboration with other educators online except from within individual digital platforms. I like how Formative has their community center, which is a collaboration style for educators, Khan Academy, Penpal Schools, NewsEla, BrainPop all have similar areas where communication takes place within their site. I like to collaborate within Twitter as well. When asking questions or presenting ideas, all responders are true to their teaching style. It is great to hear how things are working or not working in other teacher’s classrooms and being honest about it, it True. As a teacher reading replies, I can use and take the ideas that I want and leave what I don’t but having the availability to see the different options is always nice. I think there are a lot of resources for teachers online and many more are coming.

2 Likes

I’m definitely going to have to check out EduMatch! I feel like I have to re-invent the wheel every year because the ‘rules of the game’ for teacher evaluation keep changing. As such, I don’t really have the time to tweak my own lessons and activities to make them better and more valuable. I hope EduMatch helps me use that small amount of time that I do have more efficiently… like the Formative community has helped me.

1 Like

I work in a densely populated area, so all of my collaboration with other educators is within my district and surrounding districts with email being the only online format I use.

2 Likes

I like to share with other teachers what I am doing in the classroom, through Twitter. This way everyone in the district sees the projects and has a quick way to retweet or reply to give insights. I also like to collaborate through Google chat, because I can quickly respond and if there is a need for face-to-face communication, I can still use Google Hangouts to communicate without leaving the classroom or my desk during planning.

2 Likes

Twitter is a great way to communicate with teachers around the world. Twitter also gets my administrator aware of class activities, which works well when I am evaluated for GA TKES.

2 Likes

I don’t collaborate with colleagues online. I have a large community of contacts in my district, as well as many friends from college who I collaborate with.

1 Like

Lots of different ways to collaborate. Twitter is high on my list for learning about new opportunities as well as building my PLN.

1 Like

The variety of perspectives and opinions is one of my favorite things about our community! For example, it’s interesting to hear all the different ways that educators make the most of their minutes in class with students and think about which ones I would want to prioritize if I were still in the classroom too.

I love this aspect of Twitter as well! I am always so impressed by the level of activity I see from different districts. Twitter gives educators a great way to celebrate what’s going on in their classrooms :slight_smile:

Through different communities, like this one, Edmodo and KQED Teach, I’ve met some great teachers that I consider friends, and who have become my go to for inspiration and original ideas. Many of them I’ve never met in real life, but rather through Zoom and Hangouts, if at all. Twitter is also a great place to grow and develop your PLN.

2 Likes

Yes! I’m amazed at how often I keep meeting some many great teachers thru solid integrated PD. like this.

2 Likes